Posted by Jess on Sunday, February 24, 2013 at 6:06pm.
Dalia made 8 party bags for her birthday party. Each bag contained 4 small gifts for her friends. When Denis said that she could come, Dalia had to make one more bag with 4 gifts. How many small gifts did Dalia need to fill her bags?
Walter wrote this number model: 8 x (4+4)=64
Explain what Walter's mistake.
Math - Lena, Sunday, February 24, 2013 at 6:14pm
1 Bag = 4 Gifts
Total # of party bags = 8
Total # of part bags + Denis = 9
So originally the # of gifts without Denis would have the following equation:
8 x 4 = 32
Now that Denis is coming we have 9 party bags:
9 x 4 = 36
(8 x 4) + 4 = 36
So you see that the mistake is where Walter placed his brackets. Does this make sense?
Math - Jess, Sunday, February 24, 2013 at 6:19pm
Oh I get it now, okay thank you very much!!
Math - Lena, Sunday, February 24, 2013 at 6:26pm
No problem :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- statistics - There are four children of di erent ages in a family. Their mom ...
- Math - John withdrew $ 500 out of his bank savings account. He spent $ 50 on a ...
- Finance - Suppose that a company decides to make an annual gift to fund ...
- Math - I have a math sheet for homework and most questions are similar to the ...
- Math - serigo has 30 gifts numbered from 1 to 30. There is a kite in each gift ...
- probability - There are four children of diff erent ages in a family. Their mom ...
- Algebra - Mervin tells Aquilla that he has a bag with very small rocks in it. ...
- Essay - Essay: How I surprised my friend on her birthday part. A birthday party ...
- math - Ryan has nine 14-ounce bag of popcorn to replace and sell at the school ...
- confused - serigo has 30 gifts numbered from 1 to 30. There is a kite in each ...