Posted by kaliegh on Friday, February 22, 2013 at 7:13pm.
I have an essay due and I cannot really understand the topic im supposed to write about. Its about the novel "sense and sensibility"
Many plays and novels that focus upon the courtship or marriage of a man and a woman include a second pair who help to define the central figures. Write a well organized essay in which you discuss how the secondary man and woman illuminate the central characters of the work.
english 4 AP - Writeacher, Friday, February 22, 2013 at 7:45pm
There is a type of character that writers have been using for centuries, maybe millennia, called a "foil." These are semi-main characters who have character traits that are different from the main characters, different enough to highlight what the author wants the readers to understand about the main characters.
One that by contrast underscores or enhances the distinctive characteristics of another: "I am resolved my husband shall not be a rival, but a foil to me" (Charlotte Brontë).
Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/foil#ixzz2Lg8acWfT
english 4 AP - Writeacher, Friday, February 22, 2013 at 7:47pm
What characters/novel/play are you working on?
english 4 AP - kaliegh, Friday, February 22, 2013 at 8:06pm
im working on the novel Sense and Sensibility. i was thinking of using the characters Robert Ferrar and John Willoughby to contrast with Elinor and Marianne
english 4 AP - Writeacher, Friday, February 22, 2013 at 8:10pm
There will probably be only one or maybe two major ways in which they contrast ... and that's good. The fewer the better, because that allows you to focus on and develop the ideas about the characteristics they are in contrast with!
Make two lists, one for Robert & John, one for Elinor & Marianne. To brainstorm, list all the things they have in common (comparison, which will be minor in your paper) and all the ways in which they contrast. Choose to write about no more than TWO ways in which they contrast. Make sure they are truly MAJOR ways!
english 4 AP - kaliegh, Friday, February 22, 2013 at 8:13pm
english 4 AP - Writeacher, Friday, February 22, 2013 at 8:22pm
You're very welcome!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Photo Essay Reflection - I have to write a reflection on a photo essay about the...
- English - Topic: Literature I'm doing an essay for my coursework on 'Romeo and ...
- English 8th grade - Both "Forest Fire" and "Why Leaves Turn Color in the Fall" ...
- English - Help, Please! I don't quite understand what is asking in this ...
- 8TH GRADE LANGUAGE ARTS. HELP PLEASE MS.SUE ASAP - Both forest fire and why ...
- English - I need help finding two interesting novels which have the same theme ...
- English - 'choose any of the motifs and complete a piece of creative writing in ...
- English - I have to write a critical essay on Hamlet and I can't find a good ...
- 7th Grade English - I have this project for english about the PTA Reflections. ...
- English Essay Topic - I am stuck! I don't know what topic to write about for my ...