Posted by CJ on Friday, February 22, 2013 at 3:41pm.
24 m of fencing are available to enclose a play area. what would the maximum area be if the fencing only went on 3 sides because the wall is used as the 4th side.
Please show you work
- Math - JJ, Friday, February 22, 2013 at 4:12pm
l + 2w = perimeter
l + 2w = 24
l = 24-2w
Area = l times w
(24-2w)w = Area.
24w -2w^2 = Area.
If you are doing this using calculus, you would take the derivative of the area and set it equal to zero to find w.
- Math - Reiny, Friday, February 22, 2013 at 4:14pm
let the side parallel to the wall by y m
let the other two sides be x m each
so we have y + 2x = 24 or y = 24-2x
area = xy
= -2x^2 + 24x
let's complete the square to find the vertex of this parabola
= -2(x^2 - 12x + 36 - 36)
= -2( (x-6)^2 - 36)
= -2(x-6)^2 + 72
the vertex is (6,72)
So the maximumum area is 72 ^2 , when x = 6 and y = 12
d(area) = -4x + 24 = 0 for a max area
x = 6
then y = 24 - 12 = 12
max area = 6(12) = 72
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - There is 70m of fencing wire which is used to create 3 sides, brick wall ...
- Algebra Word Problem Help - A gardener has 40 feet of fencing with which to ...
- Algebra Word Problem Help - I got 2 more intense problems like this. Can someone...
- Algebra - The back of Tom's property is a creek. Tom would like to enclose a ...
- Math, Quadratic Functions - Eighty metres of fencing are available to enclose a ...
- Algebra Help - I got 2 more intense problems like this. Can someone show me the ...
- Algebra - A gardener has 60 feet of fencing with which to enclose a garden ...
- Algebra - A builder has 80 feet of fencing to create an enclosure adjacent to a ...
- Applied Math- Gr.11 - A farmer wants to enclose three sides of a rectangular ...
- Algebra - A farmer plans to enclose a rectangular region using part of his barn ...