Posted by tyler on Friday, February 22, 2013 at 12:50pm.
The sum of twice a number and another number is 24. The difference of twice the first number and the other number is 12. Which system would model this situation, and what is the solution?
Math - JJ, Friday, February 22, 2013 at 12:53pm
x = 1st number and y = second number
2x + y = 24
2x - y = 12
Can you finish from here? Add the two equations to eliminate y and solve for x.
Then find y.
Be sure to check both x and y in both equations to be sure you are correct.
Math - Damon, Friday, February 22, 2013 at 1:00pm
2 x + y = 24
y - 2x = 12
4 x = 12
x = 3
y = 24 - 6 = 18
6 + 18 = 24 yes
18 - 6 = 12 yes
note you could have written
2 x + y = 24
2 x - y = 12
2 y = 12
y = 6
2x + 6 = 24
x = 9
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Directions : write the equation or an inequality 1.The difference of a ...
- Math - The sum of three times a first number and twice a scond number is 43. If ...
- algebra - Twice the first number is eleven more than the sum of the other two ...
- math - the sum of two number is 39 . twice the first number plus 3 times the ...
- Please help quick! Math - The sum of three times a first number n twice second ...
- algebra - Example 2: The difference of two numbers is 16. The first number is 4 ...
- math - 1.twice a number is 6 2.four added to a number gives ten 3.twenty five ...
- Math - Which verbal expression represents the algebraic expression? (A) 2 times ...
- Algebra - Solve. Please show all of your work. The sum of twice a number and 4 ...
- math - twice the sum of a number and 3 is equal to three times the difference of...