Posted by tyler on Friday, February 22, 2013 at 12:50pm.
The sum of twice a number and another number is 24. The difference of twice the first number and the other number is 12. Which system would model this situation, and what is the solution?
- Math - JJ, Friday, February 22, 2013 at 12:53pm
x = 1st number and y = second number
2x + y = 24
2x - y = 12
Can you finish from here? Add the two equations to eliminate y and solve for x.
Then find y.
Be sure to check both x and y in both equations to be sure you are correct.
- Math - Damon, Friday, February 22, 2013 at 1:00pm
2 x + y = 24
y - 2x = 12
4 x = 12
x = 3
y = 24 - 6 = 18
6 + 18 = 24 yes
18 - 6 = 12 yes
note you could have written
2 x + y = 24
2 x - y = 12
2 y = 12
y = 6
2x + 6 = 24
x = 9
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Directions : write the equation or an inequality 1.The difference of a ...
- Math - The sum of three times a first number and twice a scond number is 43. If ...
- algebra - Twice the first number is eleven more than the sum of the other two ...
- math - the sum of two number is 39 . twice the first number plus 3 times the ...
- Please help quick! Math - The sum of three times a first number n twice second ...
- algebra - Example 2: The difference of two numbers is 16. The first number is 4 ...
- Math - Which verbal expression represents the algebraic expression? (A) 2 times ...
- Algebra - Solve. Please show all of your work. The sum of twice a number and 4 ...
- math - twice the sum of a number and 3 is equal to three times the difference of...
- MS. SUE - MATH HELP PLEASE - The sum of five times a number and twice a second ...