Posted by Angela on Friday, February 22, 2013 at 11:03am.
Solve for x
5/x-2 + 2/x+5 = 4/x^2+3x-10
not sure i know how to do this
- Math - JJ, Friday, February 22, 2013 at 11:16am
Do you mean 5/(x-2) plus 2/(x+5) =
4/(x^2 + 3x -10)
To do this you either need a common denominator or to clear denominators.
I have to check the factors of the denomonators.
(x^2 + 3x -10) factors to (x+5)(x-2)
5/(x-2) needs to be multiplied by (x+5)/(x+5)
2/(x+5) needs to be multiplied by (x+2)/(x+2)
Can you finish from here?
- Math - Angela, Friday, February 22, 2013 at 11:33am
yes that is what i meant.
i think i am still confused cause when i do that i got (7x+29)/(2x^2+6x-20)
which i dont think is right
- Math - JJ, Friday, February 22, 2013 at 1:13pm
7x + 29 is correct in the numerator.
the denominator will be x^2 + 3x - 10
Your mistake is that you added the denominators. You have to keep the denominator and add the numerators when working with fractions. Like 1/5 + 2/5 = 3/5
this is the same denominator that you have on the other side of the equation.
We are saying two fractions are equal, since there denominators are equal, then their numerators must also be equal.
Set 7x +29 = 4 and solve for x.
- Math - angela, Friday, February 22, 2013 at 6:11pm
for x i got -3.57 is this correct?
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - We have an important chemsitry test due and I want to make sure that I do...
- math - Solve the equation. -6p - 21 = 3p - 12 A. 1 B. 3 C. –3 D. –1 im sure its...
- math - Solve the equation. 5 1 -4 2 -3 -5 X= 5 7 2 -6 2 5 The numbers are ...
- math - solve and graph the following inequality. -8p-5<-13 Can someone please...
- Math(Solve the system) - So I guess I have to: Solve the system using any ...
- College Math II - x/x – 1 - 3/x = 1/2 I am not sure how to solve this equation ...
- College Math II - Solve by any method. a^4 – 5a^2 + 4 = 0 I am having problems ...
- math - Here are a few problems I need solving Make sure to show a check for the ...
- Math - Algebra - Solve the inequality. n-1/3n < n-4/3n-4 (it's actually less ...
- How do I do this.?(Math.) - Use the Substitution method to solve the system of ...