Posted by T-perry on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 3:55pm.
A college student decides that school work limits him to a total of no more than 36
hours per week at his two parttime jobs. He earns $6 per hour hanging wall paper and
he has a sales job that pays $8 per hour. He needs to earn at least $245 per week to
cover his expenses. Write a system of inequalities that shows the various numbers of
hours he can work at each job. Let h represent the number of hours spent hanging wall
paper and let s represent the number of hours spent working at the sales job.
- Math - JJ, Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 3:58pm
hours: h + s < or equal to 36
6h + 8s > or equal to 245
You can solve these just like you would equations.
How would you solve h + s = 36
6h + 8s = 245
Multiply the first equation by -6 and then combine the equations to eliminate the x and solve for y. Substitute back in to solve for x.
then go back to the original inequalities to find the various numbers houwer worked
- Math - T-perry, Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 4:00pm
well you would isolate y and i got s< or equal to -h+36
- Math - JJ, Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 4:04pm
I meant to say s and h.
You could do that which issubstitution or you could use the addition/elimination method
-6h -6s <= 216
6h +8s >= 245
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - You can work a total of no more than 34 hours per week at your two ...
- Math - John has two part time jobs. He works no more than 40 hours per week. He ...
- Algebra 1 - suppose you can work a total of no more than 20 hours per week at ...
- Math Algebra 1 - suppose you ca work a total of no more than 20 hours per week ...
- Math - Hi i'm having trouble with a question. it states During the Summer you ...
- Ed white - solve this word problem suppose you have a job mowing lawns that pays...
- Algebra - Job A pays Edith $4 an hour. Job B pays her $8 an hour. She will work ...
- math/algebra - Can I get help in solving these problems using the linear system ...
- Algebra - Mildred makes $3 an hour babysitting and $6 an hour when she works at ...
- math - Alice is working 2 jobs to save up money for a trip. She works at the ice...