Posted by Penelope on Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 4:15am.
A committee, which consists of two mathematicians and three scientists, will be formed from four mathematicians and six scientists. How many possible committees can be formed if :
a. any of the mathematicians and scientists are included?
b. one particular scientist must be in the committee?
c. two particular mathematicians must be int he committee?
d. two particular scientists must not be int he committee?
- Math - Reiny, Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 8:18am
a) number of (2math, 3 science() = C(4,2) x C(6,3) =120
b) one specific scientist must be in, so need 2 other scientist
= C(4,2) x C(6,2) = 90
c) 2 specific math guys must be in, but we need only 2 maths, so only need the 3 science
= C(6,3) = 20
d) 2 specific science guys are out, so need 3 from remaining 4 science guys
= C(4,2) x C(4,3) = 24
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Given 5 members, 5 scientists and 9 mathematicians. How many committees ...
- proofread letter - Can you proofread my letter? Thanks! December 7, 2007 Dear ...
- Maths - I need to solve these anagrams of famous mathematitions PHRYGATOAS ...
- Accelerated Math - A committee is to consist of three members. If there are six ...
- math's, combination - A group of 25 lecturers includes six mathematicians. in ...
- Math - A committee of 5 people is to be formed from a group of 7 women and 4 men...
- math - i want to make a chart on mathematicians
- social study - Name two advances made by Indian mathematicians.
- Math - Who are some famous homosexual mathematicians?
- Math - From 5 statisticians and 6 economists, a committee consisting of 3 ...