Posted by cindy on Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 9:59pm.
carl has a box with a length width and height of 12 inches. she needs a box that is 4 inches longer, not as high, yet still has exactly the same width and volume.
what are the new dimensions?
which box requires more material to construct?
PLEASE HELP ME!! :(
- MATH!! - victoria , Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 10:06pm
length would be 16 , width 12, and hight 9 .... but you should double check
- MATH!! - cindy, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 10:10pm
how did you figure that out and its correct it has the same volume and width
- MATH!! - Reiny, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 10:33pm
new box would be 12 by 16 by x
12(16)(x) = original volume = 12^3 = 1728
x = 1728/(12(16) ) = 9
- MATH!! - cindy, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 10:38pm
so they both share an equal material?
- MATH!! - Reiny, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 11:01pm
no, they have the same volume, but different surface areas (material used)
in original, you would have 6 equal squares
each of 12 by 12 or 144 inches^2
so the surface area of the box including top and bottom = 6(144) or 864 square inches
surface area of the new box
= top and bottom + fron and back + two ends
= 2(16 x 12) + 2(16 x 9) + 2( 12 x 9) = 888 square inches
Make a sketch to see how the calculations developed.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - carl has a box with a length width and height of 12 inches. she needs a ...
- algebra - carl has a box with a length width and height of 12 inches. she needs ...
- geometry - The length of a box is 4 inches longer than its width, and the height...
- college algebra - a rectangular box has a volume of V(x)=x^3+13x^2+50x+56 cubic ...
- Algebra 1 - A box shaped like a rectangle prism has a height of 17 inches and a ...
- 5th grade math - Im confused please help thank you To find the volume of a box, ...
- Math - Walter is making an open-top box. The length is 6 inches greater than the...
- Math - 2.)The volume of a box can be found by multiplying the length times width...
- algebra 2 - the height of a box is 6 inches. the length is three inches more ...
- Math - A rectangular box has a length of 12 inches and a width 4 inches. The ...