Posted by lisa on Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 7:23pm.
what is the sum of (x^2-3x+2) and (5x^2-3x-8)?
how would you solve this???? please help
- math - JJ, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 7:26pm
You have to combine like terms.
When you add you keep the variable(letter) with its exponent and and the coefficients (numbers in front)
3x + 5x = 8x
You are going to combine your x^2 terms
your x terms and your constants.
Show me your answer and I will check it.
- math - lisa, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 7:32pm
so would it be
- math - JJ, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 7:34pm
-3x -3x = -6x
this is the same as -3x + -3x + -6x
You are right, but missing the middle term.
-3x + 3x = 0 that isn't what you had here.
- math - lisa, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 7:37pm
oh because i thought it was a negative and a positive so they cancel out
but its 7x^2-6x-6? or...?
- math - JJ, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 7:44pm
Correct. You have to be careful with the signs.
- math - lisa, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 7:45pm
Thank you c:
- math - JJ, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 8:07pm
You are welcome.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - the sum of a number and 3 times that number is 76. what is that number? ...
- math - this is real hard and i would love some help. In a game of craps, a ...
- math, algebra - How can i solve for this would it best to factor or use the ...
- math - Q: Corbin is playing a board game that requires rolling two number cubes ...
- math - Two non-negative numbers are chosen such that their sum is 30. Find the ...
- math - 1)find the sum of the odd integers from 25 to 75 2)find the sum of the ...
- college math - I do not understand a problem from a text book or how to solve ...
- 6th grade math - Please explain: Ursula wrote the sum of 5.815 + 6.021 as a sum ...
- math - I would let #1 = x. Then #2 = x+1 #3 = x+2 #4 = x+3 The problem says we ...
- Math - how would you graph x>-2 and how would you solve the sum of two ...