Posted by tom on Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 4:23pm.
help me combine like terms. like how do you do it with different signs in the problem.
17 + 4w - 12 - w
- Math - JJ, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 4:24pm
17 -12 is a subtraction problem
4w -w is a subtraction problem.
- Math - tom, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 4:30pm
so lets say i had 4w-8-1w
i take 4w+1w= 5w
then i have -8 left and i do
- Math - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 4:38pm
Why did you change the problem from -1w to + 1w?
4w - 1w = 3w
4w-8-1w = 3w - 8
- Math - tom, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 4:48pm
it was not negative that was a subtraction sign
- Math - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 4:57pm
Then why didn't you subtract 1w from 4w?
- Math - JJ, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 5:55pm
Negative signs and subtraction signs are really the same thing.
You can write -8 - 6
negative 8 subtract 6
which is the same thing as writing
-8 + -6
negative eight plus negative 6.
In both cases, you get a -14 as the answer.
- Math - Ken, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 10:51pm
...and yes "plus a negative" is exactly the same as minus.
Answer this Question
- math - when you are multiplying an equation how do you find like terms The ones ...
- Alegbra - combine like terms -9x - 13x + 7 easy problem My professor says I ...
- Math - Okay, this isn't really a big question. I know how to do it, there's just...
- algebra - Problem Two: 5/9 + (2/9)x = 25/7 + (6/7)x – 2/3 Multiply figures ...
- (Math - How do i do this problem? Simplpfliy the expression and combine like ...
- Math (Algebra 1) - How do I combine the following like terms? 4+2(-x+1)-5(x-1) I...
- math - I believe Lance meant to write x = -5/18 I am wondering why you have two ...
- Algebra - Equation: 2x/5-x/3=5 (2x/5 and x/3 is a fraction) I know that you are ...
- Math - Combine like terms a + a/4 + 3a/4 + 2a
- Math - How do you combine like terms?