Posted by Knights on Monday, February 18, 2013 at 7:01pm.
A circle with radius 3 is inscribed in a isosceles trapezoid with legs of 10. Find the length of the smaller base.
When I draw a diagram, calling the trapezoid ABCD with A and D at the bottom, I see that the length from where the altitude from B and C hits AC to D is 8 from the pythagorean theorem. But the 6 looks a lot bigger. Also, how to find the smaller base?!
Please help with a trapezoid - circle problem - Henry, Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 8:18pm
AB = CD = 10.
A = D = 45o.
h = 10*sin45 = 7.07 = Altitude
CF = h/sin45 = 7.07/sin45 =10= Diagonal
BC = EF = CF*cos45 = 10*cos45 = 7.07 =
Please help with a trapezoid - circle problem - Henry, Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 2:53pm
AB = CD = 10.
h = Diameter = 2*3 = 6=Ht. or altitude.
Draw altitudes CE and BF
Draw diagonal CF which bisects BCE and
BFE. Therefore, CFE = 45o
tan45 = h/BC = 6/BC
BC = 6/tan45 = 6. = Shortest base.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - SOS...help!!! please email me at 969e221 at g mail. com here is the ...
- geometry - An isosceles trapezoid with that bases 16 in and 34 in are inscribed ...
- Geometry - "Given quadrilateral ABCD with A(0,0) B(4,2) C(3,3) and D(1,2), prove...
- Geometry - I have four questions: 1. The area of trapezoid ABCD is 60. One base ...
- geometry. - In the diagram, a trapezoid is shown with x=36 and y=56. Find the ...
- geometry - In an isosceles trapezoid, the longest base is 11", a leg is 5", and ...
- geometry - Isosceles trapezoid ABCD has legs AB and CD and base BC If AB = 7y – ...
- geometry - Given Isosceles trapezoid ABCD. AB = 3x - 4 and CD = x + 12. Find AB...
- Math - one base of a trapezoid is 10 ft. long, the altitude is 4 ft., and the ...
- maths - ABCD is a trapezoid with parallel sides AB and CD. Γ is an ...