Posted by Nkosingiphile on Monday, February 18, 2013 at 9:26am.
A rectengular area is to be enclosed on three sides by fencing, an existing hedge forming the fourth side. Find the greatest area of the rectangle and its dimensions if 140mof fencing is available.
- Math - Reiny, Monday, February 18, 2013 at 9:53am
let the length parallel to the hedge be y
let the width be x
so y + 2x = 140
y = 140-2x
area = xy
= x(140-2x) = -2x^2 + 140x
if you know Calculus:
-4x + 140 = 0
x = 35
then y = 140 - 70 = 70
max area = 35(70) = 2450
If no Calculus:
complete the square to find the vertex
A = -2x^2 + 140x
= -2(x^2 - 70x)
= -2(x^2 - 70x + 1225 - 1225)
= -2( (x-35)^2 - 1225)
= -2(x-35)^2 + 2450
so the vertex is (35,2450)
giving us a max of 2450 when x = 35
- Math - Jessica, Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 9:20pm
IDK but I'm not in eight grade, YET!! Comment, share, and love My pro in Facebook. Find me as Jessi Vertiz
Answer this Question
- algebra 1 - Charles wants to build a vegetable garden such that three sides of ...
- Polynomials and quadratic application - I want to make a rectangular garden by ...
- Math - A rectangular livestock pen with THREE SIDES of fencing is to be built ...
- word problem? - A rectangular lot is to be bounded by a fence on three sides adn...
- Applied Math- Gr.11 - A farmer wants to enclose three sides of a rectangular ...
- Math: Optimising - cant figure out this homework question! I need to use ...
- pre-calc - area of a rectangular region: a farmer wishes to create two ...
- PreCalculus - A homeowner has forty feet of fencing to enclose three sides of a ...
- Math - Suppose that 600 meters of fencing are used to enclose a corral in the ...
- math - Trent wants to build a rectangular pen for his animals. One side of the ...