Posted by Mathew on Friday, February 15, 2013 at 3:26pm.
Disks of radius 4 cm are cut from a rectangular plastic sheet of length 84 cm and width 24 cm. How many complete disks can be cut out? Find
(a) the total area of the discs out
(b) the area of sheet wasted
I did it but the answers on the back of the book do not match
heres what i did
no. of complete discs = (84*24) / 16pi
(a) total area of disc cut = 40*16pi
(b) area of wasted sheet = (84*24)-(40*16pi)
= 2016 - 2010 = 6
please check if I made errors
math - Steve, Friday, February 15, 2013 at 4:00pm
Assuming the discs (of diameter 8cm) are laid out in a rectangular grid, only 8 discs lie along the length, and the sheet is 3 discs wide.
That makes 30 discs.
If you want to change the layout, you can probably fit more discs, but you will never get 40 of them.
math - Steve, Friday, February 15, 2013 at 4:01pm
sorry - the sheet is 10 discs long (not 8)
math - Mathew, Friday, February 15, 2013 at 4:02pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Circular discs of radius 3.5cm are to be cut from a rectangular sheet of ...
- math - 6cm diameter discs are cut from a sheet 130cm long and 70cm wide.(a)How ...
- math - A rectangular and two circular cut-outs of metal sheet of negligible ...
- math - a blacksmith has a rectangular iron sheet with the length of 10 cm. he ...
- math - A rectangular sheet of metal, of area 440 sq.cm is folded into a cylinder...
- Math - As many 8cm diameter discs as possible are cut from a sheet of ...
- MATHS - Donna wants to cut out circular discs of radius 7cm from a cardboard ...
- maths - from a rectangular piece of metal sheet of length and breadth 1.60 m and...
- math - From a rectangular sheet of acrylic of dimensions 32 cm by 24 cm 64 ...
- math - A sheet of paper measures 50 CM by 30cm. A strip 6 CM wide is cut from ...