Posted by Mia on Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 2:27pm.
Your car gets 25 mi/gal around town and 30 mi/gal on the highway.
a. If 50% of the miles you drive are on the highway and 50% are around town, what is your overall average miles per gallon?
b. If 60% of the miles you drive are on the highway and 40% are around town, what is your overall average miles per gallon?
- Algebra 2 - JJ, Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 4:37pm
a. Since the miles are equal, then you can just average your gas mileage.
b. This will be a weighted average.
Say you travel 100 miles.
60(30) + 40 (25) =
Divide that answer by 100.
- Algebra 2 - Steve, Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 4:40pm
if you drive c city miles and h highway miles, the gas you use is
c/25 + h/30 gallons
so, for a 50-50 mix
100mi/(50/25+50/30)gal = 27.27 mi/gal
and for a 40-60 mix
100mi/(40/25+60/30)gal = 27.77 mi/gal
So, what would the mix have to be to get 29 mi/gal?
- Algebra 2 - Steve, Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 4:46pm
JJ's solution sounds simple, but the reality is not. This is just like the usual work problems. If A can do a job in 2 days, and B can do it in 4 days, you can't just average 2 and 4 to get 3 days.
Instead, 1/both = 1/A + 1/B = 1/2 + 1/4 = 3/4
So, together they do the job in 4/3 days.
Makes sense, since A alone can do it in 2 days, any help from B will reduce the time it takes, not average out to 3 days.
Same for the gas mileage.
50 miles at 25gal/mi = 2 gal
50 miles at 30mi/gal = 1.6667 gal
so, 100 miles takes 3.6667 gal, or 27.27 mi/gal
- Algebra 2 - Mia, Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 12:04pm
Thank you so much, Steve!!!! I really appreciate your help!!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Linear Equations - A car gets 21 mi/gal in city driving and 28 mi/gal ...
- math - One day we decided to drive from Town A to Town D. In order to get there ...
- Math - One day we decidid to drive from town A to town D.In order to get there,...
- Math - One day we decided to dive from town A to town B. In order to get there ...
- word problem - Millwood city is constructing a new highway through town. The ...
- Math - Could someone answer this question so I understand it. The answer is 28.0...
- calculus - An automobile computer gives a digital readout of fuel consumption in...
- Math - 1. Solve the proportion: z z+9 ---- = ---- 3 12 A. 4 b. 3 c. 2 d. 1 my ...
- Math - tyler is looking at a map. he wants to stop at 3 towns on highway 57. ...
- Math - Omar owns a car and a moped. He can afford 12 gal of gasoline to be split...