Posted by Ann on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 11:02pm.
How do I solve this equation? Please explain and do step by step.
6m squared -5m-14=0
Algebra - Steve, Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 11:05am
6m^2 - 5m - 14 = 0
it's mainly trial and error. Since 5 is a relatively small number, don't expect to see factors like (6m+1)(m-14)
I'd try (3m-?)(2m+?)
(3m-)(2m+) Hmm. nope
(6m-7)(m+2) = 6m^2 + 5m - 14
close, but we need -5m. So,
Algebra - JJ, Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 5:35pm
Then you have to set each factor equal to zero and solve for m.
I actually have another way to factor instead of trial and erro.
you multiply the 6 times -14 to get -84
Then you think of a two numbers that multiply to =-84 and add up to be -5
They are -12 plus 7
rewrite as 6m^2 -12m + 7m -14
group (6m^2 -12m) + (7m -14)
take out common factors
6m(m -2) + 7 (m-2)
factor out the m-2
and you have (6m+7)(m-2)
It is a newer methos and eliminates the guessing. It works every time.
Algebra - courtney, Saturday, April 13, 2013 at 6:43pm
how do I solve (16)^3 +48(16)^2
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra help - f(x)=x^3-4x^2-x+4 How do I find the x-intercept for this? This is...
- pre algebra - solve the equation step by step.list each step along with the ...
- ALGEBRA HELP - When solving the equation, what property was used to go from step...
- Algebra 1--Step-by-Step - Can someone show me how to solve these step-by-step? ...
- algebra 1 - ELEMENTARY ALGEBRA #3 Page 23 Chapter 3 Lesson 3.02 Solving Multi-...
- Algebra 1 (Step-by-Step) - Will someone explain how to solve this? Write each ...
- math - 6/(2x - y) + 7/(3y -x)= 7 4/(2x - y) + 14/(3y -x) =6 Please explain step ...
- Maths - Solve this simultaneous equation: x+3y=2 and x/3+y/2 =1 Please explain ...
- Pre-Algebra [urgent!] - I can't find the solution to this problem; can someone ...
- Algebra - How to solve d(d^-2)^-9? Please show and explain step-by-step.