Posted by harish on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 7:11am.
the heights of female students at a particular college are normally distributed with the mean 169 cm and standard deviation 9 cm.
1) Given that 80% of these female students have a height less than h cm ,find the value of h.
2) Given that 60% of these female students have a height greater than s cm,find the value of s.
- maths - Deminic, Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 12:00pm
- statistics - lilian, Friday, February 12, 2016 at 5:02am
(fi)a =0.80 (look for 0.80 in the normal distribution table)
the closest # to 0.80 is 0.7995 at 0.84
0.0005 is left to make 0.80 so look for that in the add part of the table 5 is at 2
so the a=0.842
we suggested a as (h-169)/9 =0.842
Standardize the s , (H>(s-169)/9)=0.6
s is negative because ; if its greater than the random variable which is (s) and the probability is greater than 0.5 then the random variable is negative
rule states that ; (fi)b=0.6
from the table (0.6) is 0.5987 at 0.25
0.0013 left for it to equal 0.6
from the table take the minimum value which is 12 at 3
so b is 0.253
its ngative so b is -0.253
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- statistics - Assume that the population of heights of female college students ...
- Statics - 17. The Student Health Service assumes, based on historical data, that...
- stat - Assume that the population of heights of female college students is ...
- MRU - suppose a population of nursing students heights is normally distributed ...
- Statistics - The standard deviation of GPAs (grade point averages) of all male ...
- statistics - Suppose that the heights of female adults in the US are normally ...
- Satistics - In North American, female adult heights are approximately normal ...
- Statistics - A random sample of 14 college female students revealed their ...
- biostatics - if height of 300 students is normally distributed with mean 68.00 ...
- Statistics Please help me :( - I have no idea where to even start. Suppose ...