Posted by harish on Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 1:21am.
in an attempt to establish the formula of an oxide of nitrogen , a known volume of the pure gas was mixed with hydrogen and passed over a catalyst at a suitable temperature. 100% conversion of the oxide to ammonia and water was shown to have taken place.
NxHy gives xNH3 + YH20
2400 cm3 of the nitrogen oxide measured at rtp produced 7.20g of water.The ammonia produced was neutralised by 200 cm3 of 1 mol per dm3.
What was the oxidation number of the nitrogen in the nitrogen oxide ?
- chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 8:48am
NxOy + H2 ==> NH3 + H2O
Here is what I did,
7.2 g H2O = 7.2/18 = 0.4 mol H2O.
200 cc x 1M = 0.2 mol NH3 produced = 0.2 x 17 = 3.4 g NH3. The product have a mass of 7.2 + 3.4 = 10.6 grams.
0.4 mol O in H2O means we had 0.4 mol O in NO2. 0.2 mol NH3 means we had 0.2 mol N in the NxOy.
N(0.2)O(0.4) = NO2 for the empirical formula of the NO compound.
2NO2 + 7H2 ==> 2NH3 + 4H2O
N is +4 in this compound.
Check my work. I usually don't stay up this late.
- chemistry - Queensley, Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 3:49pm
here is what i did
write the percent compostion,
divide by their R.A.M,
divide by the smallest number,
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - in an attempt to establish the formula of an oxide of nitrogen , a ...
- chemistry - 1- A compound is 87.5% nitrogen and 12.5% hydrogen. The molecular ...
- Chemistry - Ok so I realize this is a lot of questions, but if someone could at ...
- Chemistry - I posted this before and I know now to use P1T2=P2T1 but I was ...
- Chemistry - It is known that 1.0 L of nitrogen gas reacts with 3.0 L ...
- Chemistry - Nitrogen gas (N2) reacts with hydrogen gas (H2) to form ammonia (NH3...
- CHEMISTRY - WHAT WILL BE THE BALANCE CHEMICAL FORMULA FOR THIS QOUESTION ammonia...
- chemistry - In an experiment of hydrogen reacts with 110.0 g nitrogen gas, ...
- chemistry - A 0.052g sample of aluminium reacts with excess 6M HCL. A 48.3mL ...
- Chemistry - Nitrogen and hydrogen, with volumes of 12.0 L each, are injected ...