Posted by harish on Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 1:21am.
in an attempt to establish the formula of an oxide of nitrogen , a known volume of the pure gas was mixed with hydrogen and passed over a catalyst at a suitable temperature. 100% conversion of the oxide to ammonia and water was shown to have taken place.
NxHy gives xNH3 + YH20
2400 cm3 of the nitrogen oxide measured at rtp produced 7.20g of water.The ammonia produced was neutralised by 200 cm3 of 1 mol per dm3.
What was the oxidation number of the nitrogen in the nitrogen oxide ?
chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 8:48am
NxOy + H2 ==> NH3 + H2O
Here is what I did,
7.2 g H2O = 7.2/18 = 0.4 mol H2O.
200 cc x 1M = 0.2 mol NH3 produced = 0.2 x 17 = 3.4 g NH3. The product have a mass of 7.2 + 3.4 = 10.6 grams.
0.4 mol O in H2O means we had 0.4 mol O in NO2. 0.2 mol NH3 means we had 0.2 mol N in the NxOy.
N(0.2)O(0.4) = NO2 for the empirical formula of the NO compound.
2NO2 + 7H2 ==> 2NH3 + 4H2O
N is +4 in this compound.
Check my work. I usually don't stay up this late.
chemistry - Queensley, Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 3:49pm
here is what i did
write the percent compostion,
divide by their R.A.M,
divide by the smallest number,
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - in an attempt to establish the formula of an oxide of nitrogen , a ...
- chemistry - Nitrogen and oxygen react to form nitric oxide (NO). All substances ...
- chemistry - Nitrogen gas can be prepared by passing gaseous ammonia over solid ...
- Chemistry 11th Grade - If a certain oxide of nitrogen weighing 0.11g gives 56 ml...
- Chemistry - When ammonia was reacted to copper(ll)oxide at a high temperature, ...
- chemistry - 1- A compound is 87.5% nitrogen and 12.5% hydrogen. The molecular ...
- Chemistry (Check) - Nitrogen combines with oxygen to form a variety of compounds...
- Chemistry - The mineral dolomite has the formula caco3.mgco3. When dolomite is ...
- Chemistry - When 6.25grams of pure iron are allowed to react with oxygen, a ...
- Chemistry - ammonia gas reacts with copper (ii) oxide at high temperatures to ...