Posted by Kerry-Ann on Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 9:26am.
1. Given that the straight line y=c-3x does not intersect the curve xy=3, find the range of values for c.
2. Find the range of values for c for which the line y=cx+6 does not meet the curve 2x^2-xy=3.
3. Find the range of values for k for which 8y=x+2k is a tangent to the curve 2y^2=x+k
- Pure Mathematics - bobpursley, Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 9:53am
The slope of line cannot be that of curve or greater.
slope curve>slope line
check x=10 slope line=-3
check x=1/2 slope curve=-12
do the others the same way
- Pure Mathematics - Kerry-Ann, Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 10:02am
number one is supposed to be -6<c<6
number two is supposed to be c>5
and number three is supposed to be k=8
- Pure Mathematics - Steve, Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 2:38pm
the slope of xy=3 is y' = -3/x^2
So, the slope is -3 at x=1
The tangent to the curve at x=1 is
y-3 = -3(x-1)
y = -3x+6
y = 6-3x
so, for y = c-3x, if c < 6, the line falls below the curve. Similarly, for x<0, the line lies above the other branch of the curve if c > -6.
So, -6 < c < 6
Follow this logic for the other parts
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - With regards to question J: The variables x and y are connected by the ...
- Math - Find the range of values for k for which the circle x^2+y^2=25 and the ...
- maths - find the range of values for k for which the circle x^2+y^2=25 and the ...
- Please check my maths answer? - This is the question: The straight line y=2p+1 ...
- Math - The line has equation y=2x+c and a curve has equation y=8-2x-x^2. 1) for ...
- calc - for the parametric curve defined by x=3-2t^2 and y=5-2t ...sketch the ...
- Calculus - Please help this is due tomorrow and I don't know how to Ive missed a...
- maths - a curve is defined in the x-y plane by y=(x-1)(ax^2+bx+x) where a, b and...
- math - for what values of k in y=3x+k with the curve y=-x^2-3x+6 intersect the ...
- Calculus AB - Could someone please help me with these tangent line problems? 1) ...