Posted by Kerry-Ann on Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 9:26am.
1. Given that the straight line y=c-3x does not intersect the curve xy=3, find the range of values for c.
2. Find the range of values for c for which the line y=cx+6 does not meet the curve 2x^2-xy=3.
3. Find the range of values for k for which 8y=x+2k is a tangent to the curve 2y^2=x+k
- Pure Mathematics - bobpursley, Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 9:53am
The slope of line cannot be that of curve or greater.
slope curve>slope line
check x=10 slope line=-3
check x=1/2 slope curve=-12
do the others the same way
- Pure Mathematics - Kerry-Ann, Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 10:02am
number one is supposed to be -6<c<6
number two is supposed to be c>5
and number three is supposed to be k=8
- Pure Mathematics - Steve, Saturday, February 9, 2013 at 2:38pm
the slope of xy=3 is y' = -3/x^2
So, the slope is -3 at x=1
The tangent to the curve at x=1 is
y-3 = -3(x-1)
y = -3x+6
y = 6-3x
so, for y = c-3x, if c < 6, the line falls below the curve. Similarly, for x<0, the line lies above the other branch of the curve if c > -6.
So, -6 < c < 6
Follow this logic for the other parts
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - With regards to question J: The variables x and y are connected by the ...
- Math - Find the range of values for k for which the circle x^2+y^2=25 and the ...
- maths - find the range of values for k for which the circle x^2+y^2=25 and the ...
- Please check my maths answer? - This is the question: The straight line y=2p+1 ...
- Math - The variables x and y are related by the equation y=ax/(x-b),where a and ...
- maths inequalities... - Find the range of values of k for which the expression x...
- calculus - a. find an equation for the secant line through the points where x ...
- math - 1. What is the range on the number line for all values of x^3 if x < -...
- math - for what values of k in y=3x+k with the curve y=-x^2-3x+6 intersect the ...
- algebra - above the x axis a dot on the -2 line up to 2.5, and another dot on -3...