Posted by Kristen on Monday, February 4, 2013 at 7:44pm.
I have to solve each equation using a u substitution and need help understanding how to do this.
The first equation is:
2. x+4=7 Squareroot x+4
- College Algebra help!!! - Reiny, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 7:52pm
(x^(1/3))^2 - 2x^(1/3) - 15 = 0
suppose we let x^(1/3) = y, then we get
y^2 - 2y - 15 = 0
(y-5)(x+3) = 0
y = 5 or y = -3
then x^(1/3)= 5 , cube both sides
x = 125
x^(1/3) = -3
x = -27
x+4 = 7√(x+4)
square both sides
x^2 + 8x + 16 = 49(x+4)
x^2 + 8x + 16 = 49x +196
x^2 - 41x - 180=0
(x-45)(x+4) = 0
x = 45 or x = -4
BUT, since we squared, we must verify all answers
if x = 45
LS = 45+4 = 49
RS = 7√49 = 49 , works
if x = -4
LS = 0
RS = 7√0 = 0 , works
so x = 45 or x = -4
- College Algebra help!!! - Kristen , Monday, February 4, 2013 at 8:03pm
Thank you so much this makes the examples provided make much more scense the way you broke them down! Thanks!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Substitution Method-Plz help - Use the Substitution method to solve the system ...
- Algebra 1 - What is an equation of a line perpendicular to the line with ...
- Algebra - I need some help figuring these. Compute each product and simplify ...
- Algebra - I need some help figuring these. Compute each product and simplify the...
- Algebra2 - Simplify: 1.SquareRoot(-144) 2.SquareRoot(-64x^4) 3.SquareRoot(-13)*...
- Math - I need help,my example: The sales representative say there are two floor ...
- Algebra Multiple Choice - Hello, This is the last of questions I have for my ...
- College Algebra - I have a few more questions that I'm not understanding. Its ...
- algebra - solve by substitution 5x-2y = -5 y - 5x = 3 could someone take a min a...
- ALGEBRA 1!PLZ HELP! - Use the Substitution method to solve the system of ...