Posted by drew on Monday, February 4, 2013 at 6:11pm.
Find the maximum or minimum of the following quadratic function: y = x2 - x - 56.
- algebra - Me, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 6:16pm
1. y=x2 - 16
for maximum or minumum, dy/dx=0
hence 2x=0 or x=0
minimum value of function occurs when x=0 which is y=-16
2.using same principle as above,
when dy/dx=0 => 10x+5=0 => x=-1/2
minimum value of y= -5/4 - 5/2 + 11
for 3, 4 and 5 use the same principle as 1 and 2
- algebra - bobpursley, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 6:19pm
max: infinity (at x=inf)
min: x=1/2, y= you figure it. check sign.
- algebra - Reiny, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 6:37pm
Not sure if you know Calculus, as done by Me
so let's complete the square
y = x^2 - x - 56
= x^2 - x + 1/4 - 1/4 - 56
= (x- 1/2)^2 - 225/4
so we have a min of -225/4 , when x = 1/2
(min because the parabola opens upwards)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - The equation P=240I-8I^2 represents the power, P, (in watts) of a 240 ...
- Algebra- Maximum and minimum. - I don't understand how to find the maximum and ...
- algebra - find the maximum or minimum of the following quadratic function: y =x2...
- ALGEBRA - Determine whether the quadratic function has a minimum or maximum ...
- algebra - determine the given quadratic function has a minimum valueor maximum ...
- Algebra - Find the vertex, the line of symmetry, the maximum or minimum of the ...
- math - 1.How is the maximum or minimum point of the original quadratic function ...
- Algebra 2 - 1. By graphing the system of constraints, find the values of x and y...
- Algebra2 - Complete parts a – c for each quadratic function: a. Find the y-...
- algebra - Find the line of symmetry, the maximum or minimum value of the ...