Posted by Zack on Monday, February 4, 2013 at 6:07pm.
The complete combustion of 1.00 ml of octane increases the temperature by 22.7 degrees celsius. The density of octane is 0.7g/mL. What is the efficiency of the octane in heating the water?
Chemistry - bobpursley, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 6:16pm
You have to know how much water.
Chemistry - Zack, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 6:18pm
Sorry. There are 250.00g of water.
Chemistry - bobpursley, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 6:22pm
find the heat of commbusion, then figure the heat from the ocatane.
Now, the water: heat to heat water:masswater*c*22
efficiency=heatforwater/heatfromoctane * 100 if you want it in percent.
Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 6:23pm
I have a feeling this is just part of th question and that it refers to another question.
Increases the temperature of what 22.7 celsius? Water?
Calculate dH combustion octane.
2C8H18 + 25O2 ==> 16CO2 + 18H2O
dHrcomb(rxn) = (n*dHf products) = (n*dHf reactants) = ? = heat of combustion for octane. This is the amount of heat available (theoretical I've called it below).
Use density to convert 1.00 mL octane to grams. Mass of water octane heated is not given.
q = mass H2O x specific heat H2O x delta T = this is the actual heating accomplished.
Effeciency = [(actual heating)/theor heating)]*100 = ?
Chemistry - Zack, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 6:27pm
But @DrBob222 where would I find delta T? Also, mass of water is 250 grams.
Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 8:12pm
delta T is 22.7. Right?
Chemistry - Zack, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 8:14pm
I'm getting really high negative percentage numbers.
Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 8:27pm
Bob Pursley's answer and my are are the same. Post your work if you're still having trouble.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry 12 - The complete combustion of 1.00mL of octane increases the ...
- Chemistry - The enthalpy change in the combustion of the hydrocarbon octane is ...
- Chemistry - What volume of liquid water is produced from the combustion of 10.00...
- Science: Chemistry - Enthalpy - The enthalpy change in the combustion of the ...
- Chemistry Octane Combustion - Write the balanced equation for the combustion of ...
- chemistry - A 1.800 g sample of octane, C8H18, was burned in a bomb calorimeter ...
- chemistry - When a 3.10g sample of liquid octane (C8H18) is burned in a bomb ...
- chemistry - What mass of CO2, a greenhouse gas, is produced per liter of each ...
- Chemistry - If the standard enthalpy of combustion of octane, C8H18(l) is -5471 ...
- science - if the density of octane is 0.703 g/mol, how many gras of carbon ...