Posted by cristina on Monday, February 4, 2013 at 5:47pm.
I need help teaching my 2nd grader how to come up with the answer. Easy for an adult..difficult to explain to a child.
I am thinking of 2 numbers who sum is 15.
One of the numbers is 9 more than the other. Got the 12 plus 3 part. Help me explain it in its simplest terms
- math - Ms. Sue, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 5:52pm
I'd use counters -- like M & Ms or pennies.
- math - cristina, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 5:55pm
That is my thought but how do I pose the question? I took a deck of cards for counters and tried to figure out how to go about it.
- math - cristina, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 5:56pm
THANK YOU by the way!
- math - Ms. Sue, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 6:03pm
Put out 15 objects.
Then have your child take 9 of them away.
How many are left?
- math - cristina, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 6:11pm
that's not the answer. its how to get her to 12 is 9 more than 3 that equals 15
- math - Reiny, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 6:29pm
start with your 15 objects
take 1 away, the pile left is 14 more than what she took away, and 14-1=13
take 2 away, the pile left is 13 more than what she took away, and 13-2=11
take 3 away, the pile left is 12 more than what she took away, and 12-3=9
ahhh, one is 3, the other is 12
x+y = 15
x-y = 9
2x = 24
x=12 , then y = 3
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math URGENT!!!! - i have a list of 5 different numbers. the sum of 2 of the ...
- math - the sum of two numbers is 42 their prodcut is 185 what are the two ...
- math - I am thinking of 3 different whole numbers which have a product of 36. 5 ...
- math - problem> mystery numbers: Bob is thinking of 2 numbers their sum is 26...
- math - kathyrn is thinking of four numbers from 1 through 9 with a sum of 18 ...
- Math - My second grader brought home this math problem for which I can find no ...
- Math riddle - nine odd numbers have a sum of 243.find the sum of the first and ...
- math - Consider an equilateral triangle with points located at each vertex and ...
- algebra - The sum of the two numbers is 71. One of the numbers is 24 less than ...
- Math - The sum of two numbers is s. If one of the numbers is n, the second ...