Posted by joe on Monday, February 4, 2013 at 1:36pm.
determine the given quadratic function has a minimum valueor maximum vale. Then find the coordinates of the minimum or maximum point.
- algebra - Reiny, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 1:44pm
Your parabola opens up because of +x^2, so it has a minimum
to find min, 3 methods:
1. by Calculus,
f ' (x) = 2x + 2
= 0 for a min of f(x)
2x = -2
f(-1) = 1 - 2 - 9 = -10
2. complete the square to find the vertex:
f(x) = x^2 + 2x + 1 -1 -9
=(X+1)^2 - 10
the vertex is (-1,-10)
so there is a min of -10 when x = -1
3. by formula
if f(x)= ax^2 + bx + c, the x of the vertex is -b/2a
x of vertex = -2/(2(1)) = -1
f(-1) = -10 , as above
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra- Maximum and minimum. - I dont understand how to find the maximum and ...
- ALGEBRA - Determine whether the quadratic function has a minimum or maximum ...
- Maximum and Minimum - Its been awhile since I have done compleating the square, ...
- math - Determine whether the given quadratic function has a minimum value or ...
- algebra - given the following quadratic equation, determine if it has a maximum ...
- math - 1.How is the maximum or minimum point of the original quadratic function ...
- Algebra - Find the vertex, the line of symmetry, the maximum or minimum of the ...
- calculus - there are no examples of this type of problem in my book so if you ...
- Algebra2 - Complete parts a – c for each quadratic function: a. Find the y-...
- maths - Given p(x)=x^4+ax^3+bx^2+cx+d,such that x=0 is the only real root of p'(...