Posted by karen on Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 3:01pm.
1. The nerve center of the American Presidency is (C)
the Presidentís Cabinet.
the Executive Office of the President.
the Congressional houses.
the Civil Service.
2. Presidential elections include all of the following except (D)
the Electoral College.
Congress holding the first round of presidential voting.
3. According to Article II, Section 2, the President may grant pardons (B)
only if Congress approves.
for all offenses except Impeachment.
if he concludes that the courts made errors at trial.
only when it is recommended by the Justice Department.
4. Although the Constitution does not provide for the line-item veto, presidents have (C)
always disregarded the Constitution and vetoed items anyway.
in effect exercised it by issuing presidency curbing legislation.
in effect exercised it on spending bills through the use of impoundments.
received permission from the courts to veto on a case-by-case basis.
5. History has demonstrated that a candidate who wants to secure his partyís nomination must often win (D)
only presidential primaries.
only participatory caucuses.
only big state primaries.
either the New Hampshire primary or the Iowa caucus.
6. Frederick Winslow Taylor was concerned with all of the following except (A)
making workers feel appreciated.
making first class workers out of second class workers.
7. A president who appoints a careerist to his cabinet wants (A)
an individual who is an expert in a particular subject.
to rely on policy czars in the White House.
an individual who knows his/her way around the Washington establishment.
somebody who will bring with him a political dowry.
8. The authority of agencies in the Executive Branch of government comes from (A)
Congressional delegations of authority.
executive Branch membership.
9. Bureaucratic capture is when (B)
an agency puts the public interest above special interests.
an agency is in the service of its clientele and their interests come before the publicís interest.
private interests are held hostage to agencies.
agencies cannot do anything because of red tape.
10. Progressive reformers sought to replace the spoils system with a civil service system based on merit because (B)
they hated immigrants.
they believed that impartial and non-partisan government would be more efficient.
they thought the spoils system was outmoded.
they wanted to seize power so that they could reward their supporters.
- PLEASE CHECK THESE ANSWERS AMERICAN GOV - Ms. Sue, Sunday, February 3, 2013 at 3:22pm
All seem to be correct! :-)
- American Government POL 201 - ALWAYS RIGHT, Friday, March 8, 2013 at 9:31am
1. The nerve center of the American Presidency is (B)
The Executive Office of the President
2. Question : Presidential character, according to James David Barber, is important for voters to consider when electing the President because they can (B)
Predict his performance
3. Question : Presidents have inferred prerogative power on the basis of (B)
Their obligation to preserve protect the Constitution of the United States
4. Question : The reason that the President is called the Commander-in-Chief in the Constitution is because the Framers wanted (B)
To establish the principle of civilian control of the armed forces
5. Question : A President who has a political mandate has (C)
Greater political power because he won by a wide margin.
6. Question : Budgeting techniques, like planning program budgeting and zero-base budgeting, are ways for the President to control the bureaucracy because they ( C )
Require departments to justify public expenditures.
7. Question : Progressive reformers sought to replace the spoils system with a civil service system based on merit because (B)
They believed that impartial and non-partisan government would be more efficient.
8. Question : In an independent agency, ( C )
The President and Congress do not have much control.
9. Question : In the American civil service system, workers are hired on the basis of (A)
10. Question : The American bureaucracy was deliberately designed to be inefficient to ensure that _____________________ are protected when bureaucrats cannot act arbitrarily because they need to get approval up the chain of command. ( C )
Accountability and individual liberty
Answer this Question
American Gov't--please check - Most of Congress's implied powers are based on ...
American Gov - The major function of Congress: A)is to check the president B)is ...
American Gov't--please check - Parliamentary democracies often have _____ ...
Early Child Ed. - Can you please check these to make sure my answers are correct...
American Gov't--please check - Which third party is an example of an economic ...
American Gov't--please check - On election day, each voter is assigned to a ...
American Gov't--please check - In _____, the Supreme Court placed limits on ...
American Gov't--please check - With the exception of _____ and _____, the ...
Geography - In the film Volcano, what types of volcano's are depicted in this ...
Cultural Diversity - Would someone please check these two questins and my ...