Posted by Knights on Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 3:44pm.
PLEASE HELP I REALLY NEED HELP.
Each of the three circles in the figure below is externally tangent to the other two, and each side of the triangle is tangent to two of the circles. If each circle has radius three, then find the perimeter of the triangle.
The figure is basically an equaliteral triangle. Inside there are three circles of the same size and are congruent. The radius of each circle is 3.
- PLEASE HELP TANGENTS AND CIRCLES PROBLEM GEOMETRY - Damon, Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 4:04pm
circle A at bottom
circle B at upper right
circle C at upper left
side of triangle at upper right = x
(1/2) of the bottom is x/2, draw vertical altitude through top of triangle and center of circle A
draw line through centers of circles A and B extending beyond at both ends
It hits right side of triangle at right angle (tangent to circle perp to radius)
It hits our center altitude at 60 degree angle (30 at top of triangle so 60 at altitude intersection)
distance from intersection with altitude and right side of triangle = 2 radii, 3 + 3 + 3 = 9
distance from top of triangle to that intersection = 9 sqrt 3
there is another radius length along the altitude to the center of the bottom of the triangle so the total height of the altitude = 3 + 9 sqrt 3
cos 30 = (3+9sqrt 3)/x = sqrt 3/2
x = (6+18 sqrt 3) / sqrt 3
simplify that and check my arithmetic
- PLEASE HELP TANGENTS AND CIRCLES PROBLEM GEOMETRY - Reiny, Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 4:08pm
Joining all the centres will produce another equilateral triangle with sides 6
So there is no problem seeing that the distance from tangent contact point to tangent contact point on the bigger triangle is 6.
let's concentrate on one end of the figure
From one of the circles draw the radii to each of the tangents.
label the centre C, the contact points A and B and the intersection of the two tangents as D. Join D and C to form the right-angled triangle ACD
angle DCA = 60°
AC = 3
so tan 60° = AD/3
AD = 3tan60=3√3
At the end of each circle we have 2 of these lengths
so the total perimeter
= 6(3√3) + 3(6)
= 18√3 + 18 units
- PLEASE HELP TANGENTS AND CIRCLES PROBLEM GEOMETRY - Knights, Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 8:14pm
Thank you so much guys I really appreciate it!!!
Answer this Question
- Geometry - Circles and tangents - Two circles of radius 1 are externally tangent...
- GEOMETRY - Two circles with radii a and b touch each other externally . Let c be...
- Math. I really don't get this question - three circles are manually tangent ...
- Trig - Three circles with radii of 4, 5, and 6 cm, respectively, are tangent to ...
- geometry - Three circles are externally tangent to one another. The radius of ...
- Geometry/Trigonometry - Circles with centers (2,1) and (8,9) have radii 1 and 9...
- Haley - Three circles with radii 35cm, 50cm, and 65cm respectively are tangent ...
- GEOMETRY CIRCLES PLEASE - The diagram shows tangent circles and lines. if AB=15 ...
- GEOMETRY CIRCLES PLEASE - HELP ME PLEASE. 1.An isosceles triangle with each leg...
- Algebra 2 - Make a table with a process column to represent each pattern. Write ...