Posted by Nycw on Friday, February 1, 2013 at 10:15pm.
The curve y=sinh(x),0<=x<=1, is revolved about the x-axis. Find the area of the resulting surface.
- calculus 2 - Eman, Friday, February 1, 2013 at 10:32pm
Revolved about the x-axis~ must use: integral 2*Pi*y ds (Eq 1)
For ds use:
ds = sqrt(1+[F'(x)]^2) dx (Eq 2)
sinh(x) dx = cosh(x) = F'(x)
sub cosh(x) into Eq 2 and you get:
ds = sqrt(1+[cosh(x)]^2) dx
now sub ds into Eq 1
integral 2*Pi*y*sqrt(1+[cosh(x)]^2) dx
We are taking the derivative with respect to x so change y to it's equivalent.
integral 2*Pi*sinh(x)*sqrt(1+[cosh(x)]^2) dx, from 0 to 1
you now have your final equation to integrate over the interval, 0 to 1
and you get 5.52989 (final answer)
- calculus 2 - Reiny, Friday, February 1, 2013 at 10:35pm
sinh(x) = (e^x - e^-x)/2
so the area
= ∫sinh(x) dx from 0 to 1
= ∫(e^x - e^-x)/2 dx from 0 to 1
= [ e^x + e^-x)/2] from 0 to 1
= (e^1 + e^-1)/2 - (e^0 + e^0)/2
= (e + 1/e)/2 - (1+1)/2
= e/2 + 1/(2e) - 1
= (e^2 + 1 - 2e)/(2e)
= (e - 1)^2 / (2e)
you better check my arithmetic
- totally ignore my post - calculus 2 - Reiny, Friday, February 1, 2013 at 10:37pm
scrap my reply,
I found the area, silly me
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - Suppose that the region between the x-axis and the curve y=e^-x for x...
- Solids of Revolution - The region enclosed by the curve y =e^x, the x-axis, and ...
- calculus - The given curve is rotated about the y-axis. Find the area of the ...
- math - The given curve is rotated about the y-axis. Find the area of the ...
- calculus 2 - The region bounded by y=e^(-x^2),y=0 ,x=0 ,x=1 and is revolved ...
- Calculus - The graph of the curve y2=10 x+10 is a parabola, symmetric with ...
- Calculus HELP plz - Find the area of the surface obtained by rotating the curve ...
- calculus II SURFACE AREA Integration - Find the exact area of the surface ...
- calculus - if the region enclosed by the y-axis, the line y=2 and the curve y=...
- Calculus I - Find the exact area of the surface obtained by rotating the curve ...