Posted by RS on Friday, February 1, 2013 at 10:07pm.
Stephanie had 24 more stickers than Jolene. Stephanie gave half of her stickers to Jolene. Jolene in return gave half of what she had to Stephanie. In the end, Stephanie had 40 more stickers than Jolene. How many stickers did Stephanie have in the end?
Maths - Reiny, Friday, February 1, 2013 at 10:23pm
at the start:
Joline ---- x stickers
Steph ----- x+24
Steph gave 1/2 of hers to Joline
Joline now has ---- x + (x+24)/2= (3x+24)/2
Step now has --- (x+24)/2
now joline give half of what she has to Steph
Joline now has ---- (3x+24)/4
Steph now has ---- (x+24)/2 + (3x+24)/4 = (5x+72)/4
now Step has 40 more than Joline
(5x+72)/4 = (3x+24)/4+ 40
5x + 72 = 3x + 24 + 160
2x = 112
x = 56
at the end Steph has (5x+72)/4 or (5(56)+72)/4 or 88 stickers
let's check this:
at the start:
Joline had x or 56 stickers
Steph had x+24 or 80
steph gave half of hers or 40 to Joline, so
Joline now has 96
Steph has 40
finally joline gives half or 48 to steph
so Joline has 48 and
Steph has 40+48 = 88
Maths - RS, Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 12:18am
THANKS FOR U R HELP
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Maths - Tina and Gopal had some stickers in the ratio 2:3. Gopal gave half of ...
- math - The ratio of A's stickers to B's stickers was 3:4. After A bought another...
- math - Daniel gave 4/5 of his stickers to Javier. Javier’s collection of ...
- math - deshawn and Luke had an equal number of stickers. After deshawn used 26 ...
- Math grade 6, Fractions - Daniel gave 4/5 of his stickers to perry.Perry's ...
- Math - Deshawn and Luke had an equal number of stickers. After Deshawn used 26 ...
- Math - Jacky and Rudy had the same number of stickers. After receiving 72 ...
- math !!!! :O - Daniel gave 4/5 of his stickers to Javier. Javier’s collection of...
- math - meg has 20 pet stickers to go on a page 1/4of them are dog stickers 1/2of...
- Math - 'bonnie has b stickers. first, bonnie gave away 1/6 of her stickers. Then...