Posted by Deborah on Friday, February 1, 2013 at 8:58pm.
I already asked this question once about the absolute value of 3x-2=8 and absolute vale x+1=1....value of x?...and the answer I received was does 0 or -2 satisfy both ....they dont...so is it no solution?
Please help - I do not understand this problem....Thanks
- Algebra-help please - Reiny, Friday, February 1, 2013 at 9:36pm
If I recall the question that Steve already answered for you , it was
|3x-2| = 8 and | x+1| = 0
What he did was to solve the easier of the two, and then asked you to check if these answers satisfied the first.
Why did you not do that?
if |x+1| = 1
then x+1 = 1 or x+1 = -1
x = 0 and x = -2
now test those in the first
if x = 0
LS = | 3(0) - 2|
= |-2| = 2
but RS = 8 , so x = 0 does NOT work in both
if x = -2
LS = |(3(-2) - 2|
= 8 = RS ,
so our solution is x = -2 , since it works in both equations.
- Algebra-help please - Deborah, Friday, February 1, 2013 at 11:32pm
Now I understand - I only asked for an explanation...I would have put those into place if I wasn't confused...thanks for the help..didn't mean to bother anyone!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Alg. - Steve please help - Steve I already asked you the question about the ...
- math, help - For the following set, which number has the largest absolute value...
- Math - Can someone please help me with an algebra problem? -|4-8b|=12 I really ...
- math !!!!!!please part of a major grade!!!!!! - when in the absolute value of x ...
- Algebra - How do you get the vertex of this absolute value? y = -2 |4x - 1| + 16...
- math - i can figure this out -2+|-5+6| i try inverse but im still getting it ...
- algebra 2 - [=absolute value [-2x+1]>2 ok im doin inequalities and the only ...
- Math - 1. Suppose a and b are integers, and the absolute value of a is > than...
- inverse function question - Hey, I'm having trouble fully understanding absolute...
- algebra 2 - in absolute value i kno that a negative number then turns to ...