Posted by Katie on Friday, February 1, 2013 at 4:58pm.
You want to make the following buffer: 5% glucose, 100 mM tris and 10 mM EDTA in a final voume of 300ml. Your stock solutions are 20% glucose, 1M tris and 0.5M EDTA. The diluent is distilled water. Determine how much of each you will add to make the desired buffer.
I know this so far::
DF = C2 / C1 = 5% (DIVIDE) 20% = 0.25
V1 - DF X V2 = 0.25 X 300 ml = 75 ml
2 - Tris Stock = 1 M = 1000 mM
DF = C2 / C1 = 100 mM (DIVIDE) 1000 mM = 0.1
V1 - DF X V2 = 0.1 X 300 ml = 30 ml
Is this right so far?
- Chemistry 3A - DrBob222, Friday, February 1, 2013 at 9:40pm
Yes, both are right. Good work.
- Chemistry 3A - Eddie, Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 12:30pm
I am doing the same problem.
I got as far as you, including:
DF = C2/C1 = 10 mM /500mM = 0.02 EDTA
V1= DF x V2 = 0.02 x 300mL = 6 mL
...Now i am not sure what to do with this information. I would appreciate the help.
- Chemistry 3A - QueenOf6, Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 4:35pm
add up the three volumes:
75mL + 30mL + 6 mL = 111mL
The question tells us that the total final volume of the buffer is 300mL, so add enough water to your solute to bring it up to that desired volume:
300mL - 111mL = 189mL
So you would combine 111mL of the solutes to 189mL of the diluent, which is water, to get a final volume of 300mL.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Science - You wish to make 1L of sterile lysis buffer soln. that is 10mM Tris-...
- Biology - You have a stock solution with following components: glucose: 44 g/L ...
- chemistry - How much Tris-Acetate-EDTA (TAE) stock buffer (3.25 M) is required ...
- Biochem - Calculate the amount of Tris(hydroxlmethyl)aminomethane(Tris) ...
- Biochemistry - How do you prepare 100 mL of a 0.1 M TRIS-HCl buffer with a pH 7....
- biochemistry - how many grams each of tris and tris HCl are needed to make up ...
- chemistry - An enzyme-catalyzed reaction is carried out in a 50-mL solution ...
- chemistry - . An enzyme-catalyzed reaction was carried out in a 0.2M �...
- Chemsitry - Tris is an abbreviation for tris (hydroxymethyl) aminomethane, which...
- Chemistry - Starting with solid Tris base (FW 121.1) and 1 M HCl, describe how ...