Posted by Mona on Friday, February 1, 2013 at 12:12pm.
The perimeter of triangle ABC is 120. LIne segment BD bisects <B. Line segment AD= 15, and line segment DC= 21. FInd AB and BC.
- Geometry-8th gr - Reiny, Friday, February 1, 2013 at 2:24pm
This is a very tough question for grade 8, I am totally impressed.
make your sketch, let
AB = a
BC = b
BD = x
Angle B = 2Ø , so that angle ABD = Ø and angle BCD = Ø
I am going to use the fact that if we have triangle with sides a and b with Ø the angle between them
the area = (1/2)ab sinØ
area of triangle ABD= (1/2)ax sinØ
area of triangle BCD=(1/2)bx sinØ
But if we consider the bases along AC , the both have the same measured from B
so they are in the ratio of 15:21 or 5:7
(1/2)axsinØ/( (1/2)bxsinØ ) = 5/7
canceling reduces this to
a/b = 5/7
5b = 7a
b = 7a/5 = 1.4a ---- ******
now let's use the perimeter:
a + b + 15+21 = 120
a+b =84 -----******
sub in b = 1.4a into the above equation
a+b = 84
a + 1.4a = 84
2.4a = 84
a = 84/2.4 = 35
then b = 1.4(35) = 49
great question !!!!
- Geometry-8th gr - Steve, Friday, February 1, 2013 at 3:31pm
or, using the angle bisector theorem,
AD/DC = AB/BC
so, as Reiny calculated,
AB/BC = 5/7
AD+BC = 84
so, AB = 35
BC = 49
- Geometry-8th gr - typo - Steve, Friday, February 1, 2013 at 3:32pm
- Geometry-8th gr - Mona, Friday, February 1, 2013 at 5:21pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Geometry-8th gr - Find KN and LM. In triangle LKM, angle L is bisected. Line ...
- Geometry - Find KN and LM. In triangle LKM, angle L is bisected. Line segment LK...
- Geometry - Yes, I'm this desperate. I just have problems with coming up with the...
- geometry - Given: M is the midpoint of line segment PQ and line segment RS. ...
- 7th grade math - Quadrilateral WXYZ os describes below. Line segment WX is ...
- geometry - Prove line segment BP is 2/3 of line segment BD in triangle ABC
- geometry - A triangle is formed where line segment AC and line segment BC have ...
- Geometry - The perimeter of triangle ABC is 29 meters. Line segment AD bisects ...
- Geometry - Please write a paragraph proof for this statement. Point Y is the ...
- Geometry - Please write a paragraph proof for this statement. 30: Point Y is ...