Posted by Barb on Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 10:54am.
Show that z/pq = 1/pr + 1/qr, where r = (p + q)/z
Finding decmpositions of a fraction into 2 units as indicated on a paprus written in Greek.
- Math - Steve, Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 11:09am
rz/pqr = q/pqr + p/pqr
rz = q + p
r = (p+q)/z
- Math - Reiny, Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 11:44am
RS = 1/(pr) + 1/(qr) , if r = (p+q)/z
= 1/( p(p+q)/z) + 1/( q(p+q)/z)
= z/(p(p+q)) + z/(q(p+q))
= (zq + zp)/( pq(p+q))
This allows you to express any fraction , which has a factorable denominator , into two fraction each with a numerator of 1
suppose we have 5/12
5/12 = 5/(3x4)
so using the above formula
z = 5
p = 3
then r = 7/5
so 5/12 = 1/(3(7/5)) + 1/4(7/5))
= 1/(21/5) + 1/(28/5)
= 5/21 + 5/28
= 5( 1/21 + 1/28)
- Math - Barb, Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 12:13pm
Thank you so much!!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - What are irrational, rational, and natural numbers? A rational number is ...
- college algebra - 1. divide and simplify x^2+x-56/x^1-1 / x-7/2x+2 2. find the ...
- math - Will someone please show me how to do this problem. I have to write this ...
- math - i need help with this question!!! describe your strategy for finding a ...
- 7th grade Math quick help Ms. Sue - Can you check to see if tese are right? 1. ...
- math - what is 0.68 written as a simplified fraction? a 68/100 b 17/25 c 100/68...
- Math - I am having trouble with the concept of unit conversions for math C30. I ...
- math - Jamal made a list of fractions and asked Will to find the fraction ...
- algebra - Perform the indicated operation and, if possible, simplify. Please ...
- math - what is 3m/m (fraction), Written as a mixed fraction