Posted by Jman on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 5:40pm.
8. “…With the existing colonies or dependencies of any European power we have not interfered and shall not interfere. But with the Governments who have declared their independence and maintained it, and whose independence we have, on great consideration and on just principles, acknowledged, we could not view any interposition for the purpose of oppressing them, or controlling in any other manner their destiny, by any European power in any other light than as the manifestation of any unfriendly disposition toward the United States…”
President James Monroe proclaimed the Monroe Doctrine in 1823. What is the main point of the doctrine, as shown in this excerpt?
**The United States pledged to avoid all involvement in European affairs in return for favorable European trade.
The United States, along with France’s military and economic help, has determined to conquer and rule the new independent nations of the Western Hemisphere.
Only the United States, Canada, and Mexico should have influence in the Western Hemisphere.
European oppression upon the newly independent nations of the Western Hemisphere will be treated as oppression upon the United States itself.
9. "...[T]he court will enter upon the inquiry, whether the laws of New York, as expounded by the highest tribunal of that state, have, in their application to this case, come into collision with an act of Congress, and deprived a citizen of a right to which that act entitles him...
"Decree...This court is of opinion that...so much of the several laws of the state of New York as prohibits vessels, licensed according to the laws of the United States, from navigating the waters of the state of New York, by means of fire or steam, is repugnant to the said Constitution and void."
What conclusion is outlined in the above quotation regarding the Gibbons v. Ogden Supreme Court decision?
**States must recogonize all federal laws.
Federal laws have less power than state laws.
States have the right to deny federal law.
Federal government can only regulate laws regarding waterways.
**= my answer
- Ms. Sue pls check answers - Jman, Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 5:49pm
pls check my answers
- ss pls check answers - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 5:51pm
I disagree with your first answer -- but agree with your second.
- ss pls check answers - Jman, Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 5:57pm
D? this is hard for me to understand
- ss pls check answers - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 6:03pm
Yes. The answer is D. And it is hard to understand.
- ss pls check answers - Jman, Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 6:03pm
Oh ok thanks!
- ss pls check answers - Ms. Sue, Wednesday, January 30, 2013 at 6:04pm
- ss pls check answers - Anonymous, Monday, February 4, 2013 at 10:45am
Please stop posting questions from online school on internet sites. It destroys the purpose in having online schools.
- ss pls check answers - HinataHyuga <3, Thursday, February 13, 2014 at 12:55pm
- ss pls check answers - mhm, Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 3:20pm
Answer this Question
math check - Consider the following table and use the formulas that are given ...
U.S History- 8th grade - What was the geography and economy like in the England ...
Statistics - Does studying for an exam pay off? The number of hours studied, x, ...
statistics - Does studying for an exam pay off? The number of hours studied, x, ...
English - Can you check my answers. Label the simple subject(SS) and simple ...
Math - Does studying for an exam pay off? The number of hours studied, x, is ...
Math PLEASE help - Does studying for an exam pay off? The number of hours ...
SS - what are labor/worker problems in southern colonies?
Government - In which type of colony did strict governors anger the colonists? A...
Social Studies - In which type of colony did strict governors anger the colonist...