Posted by Alexis on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 9:13pm.
Sustem of equations. I have to solve the system of equations by graphing and solving.
Ther are thirty-three students in the Chess Club. There are five more boys than girls in the club. Write and solve a system of equations to find the number of boys and girls in the chess club.
- Math - Reiny, Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 9:20pm
number of boys --- x
number of girls ---- y
x+y = 33
x-y = 5
2x = 38
then in the first:
19+y = 33
y = 33-19 = 14
We have 19 boys and 14 girls
do we have 33 students ? yes
do we have 5 more boys than girls? YES!!!!
To graph this
pick any two points so that x+y = 33
e.g. (15,18) and (5,28) , join them
pick any two points so that x-y = 5
e.g.( 10,5) and (20,15) , join them
the two lines should intersect at (19,14)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - ok this is in my practice book. there are 33 students in the chess club. ...
- math - Please explain in detail how to solve each question: At a certain high ...
- math - This table shows the numbers of students in different classes that are in...
- algebra2 - in the chess club, the ratio of boys to girls is 6:5.there are three ...
- algebra 1 - at a certain high school,350 students are taking algebra. the ratio ...
- math - There are 15 students in Marcelo chess club. There are 2 times as many ...
- math - one out of every 4 students in a club is a girl.There are 20 students in ...
- Algebra 2 - I need help with this problem because I do not have a graphing ...
- Math - There are 1170 students in a school. The ration of girls to boys is 23 : ...
- Algebra - The neighborhood skateboard club is starting a fundraiser in order to ...