Posted by Cat on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 8:33pm.
When some stars use up their fuel, they undergo a catastrophic explosion called a supernova. This explosion blows much or all of a star's mass outward, in the form of a rapidly expanding spherical shell. As a simple model of the supernova process, assume that the star is a solid sphere of radius R that is initially rotating at 1.5 revolutions per day. After the star explodes, find the angular velocity, in revolutions per day, of the expanding supernova shell when its radius is 3.7R. Assume that all of the star's original mass is contained in the shell.
- Physics - drwls, Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 8:52pm
Angular momentum is conserved. That means, in this case,
I1*w1 = I2*w2
where w is the angular velocity and i is the moment of inertia.
The moment of inertia of a solid sphere of uniform density with mass M and radius R1 is
I1 = (2/5)M*R1^2
The moment of inertia of a thin spherical shell of radius R2 is
I2 = (2/3)M*R2^2
The angular velocity w decreases by the ration factor
w2/w1 = I1/I2 = [(2/5)/(2/3)](R1/R2)^2
= (3/5)*(1/3.7)^2 = 0.044
The supernova shell will require 1.5/0.044 = 34 days for a single rotation.
- Physics - bobpursley, Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 8:53pm
conservation of momentum
Io wi = If wf
Io for a sphere...mass m, radius R
If for a sphericalshell, massm, radisu 3R
- Physics - Cat, Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 9:15pm
Why is R1 equal to 1?
Answer this Question
- Physics - When some stars use up their fuel, they undergo a catastrophic ...
- Science - What is a supernova? supernova is the explosion of a star, possibly ...
- Physics - On March 15, 2015 we observed the explosion of a star in our galaxy ...
- Astronomy - 1. When comparing the sizes of stars, our Sun is: a.) the largest ...
- Physics - An explosion breaks an object into two pieces, one of which has 2 ...
- college physics - A 915 kg two-stage rocket is traveling at a speed of 5.50×10^3...
- physics-collisions - An internal explosion breaks an object, initially at rest, ...
- physics - A 41.0-kg body is moving in the direction of the positive x axis with ...
- physics- sound waves - An explosion occurs that releases 2500J of energy in ...
- Physics - The Crab Nebula One of the most studied objects in the night sky is ...