Posted by pins on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 9:40am.
A cylindrical rod of cross-sectional area 5.0mm2 is made by joining a 0.30m rod of silver to a 0.12m rod of nickel. The silver end is maintained at 290K and the nickel end at 440K. given the thermal conductivities of silver and nickel are 0.42kWm-1K-1 and 91Wm-1K-1 respectively, calculate:
the temperature of the join under steady conditions, and
b the rate of conduction of heat down the rod
State any assumptions you need to make.
- college physics - Elena, Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 12:20pm
Silver: k₁= 420 W/m•K, L₁= 0.3 m,
Nickel: k₂=91 W/m•K, L₂=0.12 m,
Resistance of the silver rod:
R₁=L₁/k₁A₁ =0.3/420•5•10⁻⁶=142.9 Ω.
Resistance of the nickel rod:
R₂=L₂/k₂A₂ = 0.12/91•5•10⁻⁶= 263.7 Ω.
Two rods are the conductotrs in series:
q= ΔT/R= (440-290)/406.6=0.369 W.
T= T₂-ΔT₂=440-97.3=342.7 K
= >temperature of the join is
T=342.7 K ~343 K,
the rate of conduction of heat is
q= 0.369 W ~ 0.37 W
Answer this Question
- physic - A steel rod of length 1.0000 m and cross-sectional area 3.63·10-4m2 is ...
- Math, Algebra - Rod a is twice as long as rod b, rod c is 1/12m shorter than rod...
- College Physics - A rod of mass 4.3 kg and length 4.3 m hangs from a hinge as ...
- physics - The resistance of a 395 m long aluminum rod is 3580 . A. Find the ...
- Physics - According to the Guinness Book of World Records (1990 edition, p. 169...
- college physics - I don't know where to begin with this question. Could someone ...
- Physics - A cylindrical copper rod of length 1.20 m and cross-sectional area 5....
- physics - Calculate the angular speed of the rod, the vertical acceleration of ...
- physics - 2. Rod A, which is 30 cm long, expands by 0.045 cm when heated from 0°...
- Physics - A long thin rod of mass M = 2:00 kg and length L = 75:0 cm is free to ...