Posted by tuhituhi on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 7:46am.
if x and y vary inversely and x=18 when y=8,find x when y=16
- maths - Reiny, Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 7:55am
x and y vary inversely ---y = kx , where k is a constant
given: x=18, y = 8
8 = 18k
k = 4/9
so y = (4/9)x or 9x = 4y
when y = 16
9x = 4(16)
x = 64/9
x1/y1 = y2/x2
18/8 = 16/x2
18x2 = 8(16)
x2 = 8(16)/18 = 64/9
- maths - Steve, Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 10:34am
eh? inversely ==> xy = k
8*18 = k
k = 144
x*16 = 144
x = 9
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Alegrbra 1 - x and y vary inversely, and y = 3 when x = 6. Find y when x = 9. A...
- Algebra 2 - On some tubes of caulking, the diameter of the circular nozzle ...
- math - Suppose that x and y vary inversely and that y=1/6 when x = 3. Write a ...
- Inverse Variation - Help me please.. Explain also :( 1. E is inversely ...
- Science - What is the relationship between the number of gas particles and ...
- Alg 2 HELP!! - 1.) Find an exponential function of the form y=ab^x whose graph ...
- Pre-Algebra - If y varies directly with x, find the constant of variation with x...
- Math/Algebra - Im stuck on two problems and would really appreciate the help. 1...
- maths - can you explain to me how to do this question i know i have to use ...
- maths, variations checking! - question: given that y is inversely proportional ...