Posted by James on Monday, January 28, 2013 at 10:16pm.
The pH of a solution is defined as
pH = -log[H3O+].
If the pH of a solution is 3.72(+/- 0.03), what is the [H3O+] and its absolute standard deviation?
Answer: How would I carry this out? I know to find the hydronium concentration wouldn't i just take e^3.72? How do I do it the way they are asking for?
- Analytical Chemistry - bobpursley, Monday, January 28, 2013 at 11:04pm
= e^-pH * e^-+error
=e^-3.72 * e^+-.03
- Analytical Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, January 28, 2013 at 11:17pm
pH = -log(H3O^+)
3.72(+/-0.03) = -log(H3O^+)
So the answer is antilog -3.72 (+/- ?) = 0.0001905 +/- ?.
The formula for handling antilogs (10^-pH) is (s/y)= 2.303 x (abs std dev) = (s/y) = 2.303 x (0.03)
(s/y) = 0.0691
s = 0.0691 x 0.0001905 = 0.000013
0.0001905 +/-0.000013 which I would round to 0.00019 +/-0.00001
Check my work, especially for typos
- Analytical Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, January 28, 2013 at 11:21pm
I believe (H3O^+) = 10^-pH
Answer this Question
- Chemistry(Please respond, thank you) - What is the [H3O+] for a neutral solution...
- Chemistry - Calculate the end point pH, when 25 mL of 0.01 mol/L HCl solution ...
- chemistry - what is the pH of a solution that is .15 M in HOCl and .25 M NaOCl ...
- Chemistry - this makes absolutley no sense I plug all this into my calculator ...
- Help Chemistry - Can you please tell me if these are right? Determine the pH for...
- chemistry - 7). The pH of a solution is 2.89. What is the [H3O+]? A) 1.3 X10–3 M...
- Chemistry -- Please Help!! - Find the pH of a mixture of .150 M HF(aq) solution ...
- Chem - Please tell me if these are right! What are the [H3O+] and [OH-] for a ...
- Please Help CHEM - Can you please tell me if these are right? Determine the pH ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the pH of a solution in which a. [H3O+] = 7.8 x 10-7 M pH...