Posted by roy on Monday, January 28, 2013 at 9:53pm.
Joy is 20 years older than Bob. Three years ago, Joy was 5 times as old as Bob. How old are they now?
high shoool algebra - Reiny, Monday, January 28, 2013 at 10:12pm
Bob ---- x
ages 3 years ago:
Bob --- x-3
Joy ---- x+20 - 3 = x+17
at that time, Joy was 5 times as old as Bob
---> x+17 = 5(x-3)
x+17 = 5x - 15
-4x = - 32
x = 33/4 = 8
Bob is now 8 years, Joy is 28
Three years ago, Bob was 5 ,and Joy was 25
Was she 5 times as old as Bob, YES!!
high shoool algebra - i, Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 5:58am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - A. A woman was 30 years old when her daughter was born.Her age is now 6 ...
- math - A. Brad is 12 years older than Sam . If Brad were 8 years older than he ...
- math - A. John is now 10 years older than Marcus. Three times John's age 5 years...
- math - 1. Lisa is 15 years old and her father is 40. How many years ago was the ...
- algebra - A person is 3 times as old as aonther person but in 15 years she will ...
- math - A. Lisa is 15 years old and her father is 40. How many years ago was the ...
- Math - Drew is twice as old as his sister joy.The quotient of their ages five ...
- Algebra - Rosa is 14 years older than her sister amy. Three years ago, she was ...
- algebra - Ten years from now Tim will be twice as old as Jane was when mary was ...
- Damon,steve,reiny,bobpursley....Any 1 just help me plz - Eight years ago martha ...