Posted by opy on Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 2:23pm.
A man of height 1.8m walks away from a lamp at a height of 6m. If the man's speed is 7m/s, find the speed in m/s at which the tip of the shadow moves.
- physics - bobpursley, Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 2:54pm
draw a right triangle: vertical 6m, horizontal leg x
Now within that triangle, another vertical 1.8 m, and the horizontal distance to the lamppost is L, so the length to the tip of shadow is x-L
given: dL/dt=7, solve for dx/dt
- physics - Elena, Sunday, January 27, 2013 at 3:03pm
h=1.8 m, H=6 m, v=7 m/s u=?
x is the distance of man to lamp post,
y is the distance from the tip of the shadow to the lamp post.
From the similar triangles
H/h = y/(y-x),
6/1.8 = y/(y-x),
4.2 y=6 x,
Answer this Question
- Physics - A man places a torche on the ground, 10m away from a wall. He sees a ...
- Calculus - A street light is hung 18 ft. above street level. A 6-foot tall man ...
- Calculus - A man 2m tall walks away from a lamppost whose light is 5m above the ...
- Calculus - (It's a related rate question) A man 6ft tall walks away from a lamp ...
- math - A man 6 feet tall walks at a rate of 5 feet/sec toward a street lamp that...
- calculus - A man of height 1.5 meters walk away from a 5-meter lamppost at a ...
- math - A boy of height 95 cm is walking away from base of a lamp post at a speed...
- Cal. - A bright light on the ground illuminates a wall 12 meters away. A man ...
- calculus - A street light is mounted at the top of a 15-ft-tall pole. A man 6 ft...
- Math - A street light is mounted at the top of a 15-ft-tall pole. A man 6 ft ...