Posted by Matt on Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 6:04pm.
Air in the vicinity of a local power station contains 8.8x10^-4 gm^-3 SO2. What volume of 0.001moldm^-3 Iodine solution would be required to react with a solution obtained from 200dm^3 of contaminated air?
The equation given is
SO2 + I2 + 2H2O ==> H2SO4 + 2HI
- Chemistry - Devron, Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 6:15pm
I would help, but im a little bit confused about some of your notations
Someone else may come along and help, but just in case a clarification would be nice.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 7:00pm
gm^-3 = g/m^3
moldm^-3 = mol/dm^3 = mols/L = M
dm^3 = L
- Chemistry - Devron, Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 11:22pm
1 mole of SO2= 1 mole of I2=2 moles of H2O.
Density=mass/volume, solve for vol.
Density*volume=mass=(8.8x10^-4 g/m^3)* 220 m^3= g of SO2.
g of SO2/molecular weight of SO2= moles of SO2
Since the reaction requires 1 mole of SO2 to react with 1 mole of I2, the moles that were calculated for SO2 must equal to moles of I2.
Solve for liters,
Liters of I2 required=moles/Molarity=moles of SO2/0.001 of I2
- Chemistry - Devron, Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 11:23pm
You could have just posted a solution.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Science - chemistry - The SO2 present in air is mainly responsible for the ...
- chemistry - A particular air sample at 1 atm pressure has a density of ...
- Chemistry - Many important metals occur as sulfide, arsenide, and antimonide ...
- Chemistry - Use the following answers for questions 1 - 3. (A) F (B) S (C) Mg (D...
- chemistry - (You may have seen this before) A crude oil burned in electrical ...
- Chemistry - Consider the following mixture of SO2(g) and O2(g).If SO2(g) and O2(...
- Chemistry - In the formation of acid rain, sulfur dioxide reacts with oxygen and...
- Air pollution Engineering - The power plant is to be operated in a region where ...
- Chemistry - Pyrites, FeS2, are a pollution-causing impurity in some coals. Upon ...
- Chemistry - Given one of the following solution: 50.00mL of 0.10M of K2CrO4 ...