Posted by Shreya on Friday, January 25, 2013 at 12:43am.
an orchestra has 2 violinsts, 2 cellisst, and 4 harpists. Assume that the players of each instrument have to sit together, but they can sit in their own group. In how many ways can the conductor seat the members of the orchestra in a line?
I just went 4*3*2 and got 24? is that wrong?
Pre Calculus 12 - Reiny, Friday, January 25, 2013 at 10:41am
visualize the groups V,C,H
these groups can be arranged in 3! ways or 6 ways
but within each group, the
violinists can be arranged in 2 way
the cellists in 2 ways
the harpists in 4! or 24 ways
so the number of arrangements
= 6(2x2x24) or 576 ways
Pre Calculus 12 - Shreya, Friday, January 25, 2013 at 11:26am
Oh but this is a multiple choice question and the only answers that it can be are
Pre Calculus 12 - Steve, Friday, January 25, 2013 at 11:30am
It looks to me like you have a typo somewhere. Your answer of 4*3*2 indicates that there were 3 violinists or 3 harpists. In that case, multiply Reiny's answer by 3 to get 1728.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- PLEASE HELP - a). How many ways can a person select three appetizers and two ...
- MAth - Please help. a). How many ways can a person select three appetizers and ...
- statistics - if 3 couples sit in a row of chairs what is the probability that ...
- pre- calculus - In how many ways can a family of six be seated at a round table ...
- Math - Six people are going to sit in a row on a bench. Romeo wasnts to sit next...
- sociology - 3. If all of a company’s Filipino employees sit together for lunch, ...
- math, permutations and combination - 1. A group of 25 lecturers include six ...
- math(counting) - in how many different ways can 3 boys and 2 girls sit on a ...
- algebra 1 - The Question Writing Commitee consists of seven volunteers from ...
- math - A team of 8 members are going to plan an excursion tour.the were going to...