Posted by Shreya on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 11:32pm.
Another sine/cosine question i don't get
in vancouver on certain day, high tide is 20m at 2am, the next low tide is 8m at 6am, what an equation that represents height (h)of water at any time (t)since midnight)
what is the height of water at 8:45AM?
What is height of water at 8:30PM?
i tried attempting this but i think i only got the amplitude
I went 20-8/2 and got 6 as the amplitude
Im using the cos function so I have 6cos
and then for the phase shift i only got (t-2) And I don't get how to find the rest. Im using the original graphs of the sine and cosine to solve, i think that makes it easier.
Pre Calculus 12 - Reiny, Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 8:56am
you will need the period
high tide = 2:0 am
low tide = 6:00 am
time between is 4 hrs, which is half the period
(to get the full period you would go from high to low (4hrs) and back to high again(another 4 hrs)
period = 8
2π/k = 8
8k = 2π
k = 2π/8 = π/4
so you have y = 6 cos (π/4)t + h , the height
remember the min of the equation we have so far is -6, but we want that to be 8 , so we have to raise the curve 14 m
y = 6 cos (π/4)t + 14
need : y = 6cos (π/4)(t + d) + 14
we know that at t=2 , y = 20
20 = 6 cos (π/4)(2-d) + 14
cos (π/4)(2-d) = (20-14)/6 = 1
but we know cos 0 = 1
so (π/4)(2-d) = 0
d=2 , but I just noticed you already had that
y = 6 cos (π/4)(t-2) + 14
check for other data:
at 6:00 am , h = 8 ---- t=6 should give us y = 8
y = 6 cos (π/4)(6-2) + 14
= 6 cos (π) + 14
= 6(-1) = 14 = 8
looks like we nailed it
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - 3. At the end of a dock, high tide of 14 m is recorded at 9:00 a.m. Low ...
- Trigonometry - At the ocean, it is known that the tide follows a trigonometric ...
- trig question... - During a 12-hour period, the tides in one area of the Bay of ...
- trig - During a 12-hour period, the tides in one area of the Bay of Fundy cause ...
- Math - The Distance from the top of a cliff to the water below ranges from 13m(...
- science - you observe a high tide at 3:00 a.m. If it takes about 6 1/4 hours for...
- Math - The height of the tide in a given location on a given day is modelled ...
- math - Tides are cyclical phenomena caused by the gravitational pull of the sun ...
- quadratic function - The depth of water in a channel between two successive low ...
- Science - what would tides be like if the moon did not exist? a) There would be ...