Posted by Shreya on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 10:47pm.
The height h, in metres, above the ground of a car as a ferris wheel rotates can be modelled by the function h(t) = 18cos(πt/80) +19
what is the minimum height of a car?
do i like subtract 19 from 18 ?
what is the maximum height of a car?
do i add the 19 to 18?
how long does it take for the wheel to revolve once?
The question below is a different question..
The period in degrees of the graph y = cos4x is?
Is it 45 degrees? I dont get how to solve this?
- Pre Calculus 12 - Reiny, Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 11:15pm
Just look at the trig part of the function, namely the
the min value of that is -1 and the maximum is +1
so 18cos(..) has a min of -18 and a max of +19
so -18 + 19 = 1 metre, ---> minimum height of car
and +18 + 19 = 37 ----> maximum height of car
for y = a cos kx
the period is 2π/k or 360°/k
your value of k is π/80 , you had πt/80 which is (π/80)t
so the period is 2π /(π/80)
= 2π(80/π) = 160
So the period is 160 seconds , if t is defined in seconds
for the 2nd question:
y = cos 4x ----> compare with y = cos kx
period = 2π/4 radians or 360°/4
= π/2 radians or 90°
Memorize: period = 2π/k or 360°/k
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - A ferris wheel has radius of 25 m and its centre is 27 m above the ground...
- MATH - A Ferris wheel completes one revolution every 90 s. The cars reach a ...
- trig question - A Ferris wheel has a deameter of 50m. The platform at the bottom...
- Calculus - The height above the ground of a rider on a large Ferries wheel can ...
- Math - 1. The height of a bumble bee above the ground is modelled by h(t) = 0....
- calculus - Eric is standing on the ground, a distance of 70 ft from the bottom ...
- Pre Calculus 12 - Modelling with sine/cosine A Ferris wheel has a diameter of ...
- Math - The height, h, in metres, above the ground of a rider on a Ferris wheel ...
- Pre-Calculus - Use the CALC features of the TI to answer the following. Show ...
- math - a ferris wheel has a radius of 8m and rotates every 12 hrs. THe bottom of...