Posted by dirtrider on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 9:01pm.
What is the quotient in simpliest form? State any restrictions on the variable.
x+2/x-1 divided by x+4/x^2+4x-5.
My answer (x+2)(x+5)/x+4; dont get the restriction part either -5,-4 or 1,-4,-5
Can someone please help?
- algebra - Reiny, Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 10:01pm
For typing of this kind of question in this format, brackets are of critical importance
I will assume you meant:
(x+2)/(x-1) ÷ ( (x+4)/(x^2 + 4x - 5) )
= (x+2)/(x-1) * (x^2 + 4x - 5)/(x+4)
= (x+2)/(x-1) (x+5)(x-1)/(x+4)
= (x+2)(x+5)/(x+4) , x ≠ 1, -5,-4
In the original divisor of (x+4)/((x-1)(x+5)
is x = 1 or -5, that expression would be undefined, so we restrict those values
similarly looking at the final answer, we are dividing by x+4.
If x = -4 , we could be dividing by zero, a no-no
So we have restrictions of 1, -5, -4
your answer is correct, other than the above restrictions.
- algebra - da sand nega , Sunday, May 8, 2016 at 10:01pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - what is the quotient in simpliest form state the restrictions on the ...
- algebra - What is the product in simpliest form state any restrictions on the ...
- algebra - What is the quotient in simplest form? state any restrictions on the ...
- Math - Can someone please help me with these two. What is the quotient (6-x)/(x^...
- math - Please help! Simplify the rational expression. State any restrictions on ...
- algebra 2 - 1.Simplify the difference. n^2 - lOn+24 9 / n^2 - 13n + 42 — 7 A. n...
- Estimation decimal quotient - Use compatible numbers to find the each quotient...
- algebra - Simplify the rational expression state any restrictions on the ...
- pre-calculus 11 - an object has a mass of m= 3x/4x^2 and density of d=x-1/2^2 ...
- Math - Find the quotient function f/g for f(x)=sqr(x+1) and g(x)= sqr( x-1). My...