posted by Leah on .
Identify the term that best describes the words/phrases in parentheses.
1. The teacher asked her pupils to (stay) put during the screening of the documentary.
2. The committee judged the logo (the most appropriate symbol) for the association’s mission.
3. Rashid’s speech was both an (analysis) and a (satire) of the school system today.
compound direct object
compound predicate nominative
4. (Most of the passengers) were issued new plane tickets for the same day.
5. (Transporting pollen) is the worker bees’ job.
6. Meteors, (known as shooting stars), may be seen on almost any clear night.
7. The microphone (that he used) had a cord attached to it.
8. (If you take a trip to Mount Vernon), you will be taken back two centuries into the past.
9. (My mother reported) that she had found a new apartment for us.
I'll be happy to check your answers for you.
1. linking verb?
2. objective complement?
3. compound predicate nominative?
4. complete subject?
5. gerund phrase?
6. appositive phrase?
7. noun clause?
8. adverbial clause?
9. independent clause?
1 and 7 are incorrect. The others are correct.