Posted by Hennessey on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 2:27pm.
6. Each of the following words has the suffix -ed. Which word is spelled correctly?
8. When reading a newspaper, you come across the word subterranean. You guess the meaning of the word by breaking it into its parts. You know that sub- is a prefix meaning "under," and the word terra often refers to "earth" or "ground." The suffix -an means "relating to." You guess that subterranean means "underground." The process you've just used is called
A. context clues.
B. dictionary skill.
C. phonetic analysis.
D. structural analysis.
9. Which one of the following pairs of words is an example of a near homonym?
10. Which of these words is spelled incorrectly because it violates the rules for ie versus ei words or exceptions to those rules?
12. Of the different kinds of vocabularies, the one that's the largest is the _______ vocabulary.
16. Read this sentence carefully.
The autocratic leader handed out orders left and right.
What kind of context clue would you use to understand the meaning of autocratic?
A. A clue offered by an example
B. A clue provided by contrast with a signal word
C. Clues from another sentence
D. Clues from your experience or general information
19. The following words have roots with one syllable. To each, the -ing suffix has been added. Which word is spelled correctly?
20. To figure out how to correctly speak the word onomatopoeia, you look up the word in your dictionary. You then refer to a chart that explains the dictionary's symbols for how to say the word. This chart is called the dictionary's
A. table of contents.
B. pronunciation key.
D. entry word.
Answer this Question
english communication - which of the following words is a homonym of bare?
english communication - the following words each contain the letters c, i, and e...
ece literacy - please help I just can't find the answer to this question. Words...
english communication - 1. Good writing costs companies money and these costs ...
criminal justice - Individual Assignment: Barriers to Effective Communication ...
Business English - Which of the following is a characteristic of communication ...
HCA - a 700- to 1,050-word paper that includes the following: • Describe the ...
English - 1. Verbal communication refers mainly to: A. vocal quality. B. pitch. ...
business - Why? Write a 200- to 300-word response to the following questions ...
communication - Which of the following is a characteristic of communication in ...