Posted by Anonymous on Monday, January 21, 2013 at 10:24pm.
I have to do a paragraph due Wednesday. Could someone please read it and point out any unclear, vague, or wordy points?
Throughout Langston Hughes' poem "Mother to Son," the speaker sympathizes with the reader regarding the difficulty of life. For example, the speaker begins the poem by saying
"Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And boards torn up" (2-5).
The speaker connects her life to an unmaintained staircase, explaining that obstacles hinder her ascent. Her description of life warns readers of the problems one will face throughout his/her "journey up the staircase." Furthermore, the speaker continues her story, saying
"I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark" (9-12).
Despite the barriers the speaker faces in her life, she perseveres, achieving goals and reaching positive turning points. Nonetheless, she experiences times when she "goes in the dark," not knowing what to do next. Finally, the speaker concludes by teaching a valuable life lesson, saying "So, boy, don't you turn back / Don't you set down on the steps / 'Cause you finds it's kinder hard" (14-16). The speaker reminds readers to never give up, revealing that sitting down on a splinter-full staircase brings pain and discomfort. She also wants readers to know that by overcoming obstacles, one will grow as a person. To conclude, the speaker provides advice about life, teaching readers that persistent action toward a goal brings more satisfaction than just giving up.
- English - Anonymous, Monday, January 21, 2013 at 10:25pm
Also, note that the structure is similar to a three-paragraph essay. This is a three-chunk paragraph.
- English - Writeacher, Monday, January 21, 2013 at 11:13pm
The only part I'd change is "a splinter- full staircase" -- find a different way to phrase that without using any hyphens.
Everything else reads fine.
Answer this Question
- enlish. poem, Mother To Son - in Mother to Son Langston Hughes uses the extended...
- Post the poem? - Refugee in America" by Langston Hughes So I cannot follow links...
- Langston Hughes - Explain the use of repetition of the pronoun "I". The poem is...
- Englisj - In Langston Hughes poem, Dreams, Would using a simile rather than a ...
- Gen English - In the poem Dreams by Langston Hughes, Describe how the poem is ...
- Gen English - Ok im still confused in the poem dreams by langston hughes ...
- 5 Language Arts questions:Poem:Mother to Son - 1. How would you describe a ...
- english - Can someone help me find rhetorical devices used in this poem, "mother...
- English - My teacher asked us to write a poem in the style of Langston Hughes' ...
- English - What would the tone be for the poem "Harlem" by Langston Hughes?