Posted by Emme on Sunday, January 20, 2013 at 2:10am.
A jet flew from Tokyo to Bangkok, a distance of 4800km. On the return trip the speed was decreased by 200km/h. If the difference times of the fights was 2 hours, what was the speed from Bangkok to Tokyo.
- Math - Reiny, Sunday, January 20, 2013 at 8:40am
time for 1st flight = 4800/x
time for return flight = 4800/(x-200)
4800/(x-200) - 4800/x = 2
multiply by x(x-200)
4800x - 4800(x-200) = 2x(x-200)
960000 = 2x^2 - 400x
x^2 - 200x - 480000=0
(x - 800)(x + 600) = 0
x = 800 or x = -600 , the negative speed makes no sense
so x = 800 km/h
1st flight = 4800/800 = 6 hrs
2nd flight = 4800/600 = 8 hrs
difference is 2 hours, YEahh!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - A jet flew at an average speed of 480 mph from Point X to Point Y. ...
- math - Matt and Anna are frequent fliers on Fast n Go Airplanes. They often fly ...
- MATH - Matt and Anna are frequent fliers on Fast n Go Airplanes. They often fly ...
- Math - Elenore made an 850 mile trip east. She traveled 2 hours by jet and 30 ...
- math - a private jet flies the same distance in 6 hours that a commercial jet ...
- Japan - social studies) Question:How many distance is Japan from the US? It is ...
- algebra - These are very easy to set up with a "chart" ---------Distance-----...
- World History - Firebombing of Tokyo.How were the Allies able to reach Tokyo?
- Algebra - It took 4 hours for a biker to travel from one city to another going ...
- Tokyo - I need to think of 5 strategies that Tokyo should do to solve the issues...