Posted by GenChem on Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 12:21pm.
How many cm3 solution of 36% HCl with density 1.183g/cm3 should be taken to prepare 250cm3 solution with concentration of 0.215 g/dm3.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 2:40pm
First determine the concn of the 36% HCl then use the dilution formula to make whatever concn you need from that.
1.183 g/cc x 1000 cc x 0.36 x (1 mol/36.5g) = ?M HCl for the 36% stuff. You should get approximately 12M
I would convert 0.215 g to mols; 0.215/36.5 = about 0.0059
Then c1v1 = c2v2
12M x v(in cc) = 0.0059 x 250cc
Solve for v.
- Chemistry - GenChem, Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 4:48pm
DrBob222 can you explain one by one.. i didn't get it
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 6:12pm
First you want to determine the molarity of the 36% HCl. M = mols/L.
The density is 1.183 g/cc.
How much does 1000 mL weigh? That's 1.183 x 1000 mL = ?grams = mass 1 L.
How much of that is HCl? 36%. So
? grams x 0.36 = ? g HCl. The rest of it is water.
How many mols HCl is that?
mols HCl = grams HCl/molar mass HCl and molar mass HCl is about 36.5.
Then follow the c1v1 = c2v2 I gave above.
- Chemistry - GenChem, Sunday, January 20, 2013 at 10:37am
DrBob222 thanks for answering.Can it be solved this way:
0.250dm3 x 0.215g/dm3 / 1.183g/cm3 x 0.36 = 0.1262 cm3
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - We had a lab where the standard solution was potassium ...
- chemistry - X is a solution,of dibasic of H2X. G is a solution containing 1.00g ...
- Chemistry - Can you check if this is correct please? a) How many moles of sodium...
- Chemistry - How much cm3 solution of concentrated ammonia with 25% density of 0....
- chemistry - What is the mass of dry NaCl sample should be taken for 100 cm3 of 0...
- chemistry. - Which solution contains 0,1 mol of sodium hydroxide? A- 1 cm3 of 0,...
- chemistry - 1. A large salt crystal having a volume of 56 cm3 and a density of...
- chemistry - A large salt crystal having a volume of 56 cm3 and a density of 2.17...
- Chemistry - -A sample consist 90% NaOH and 10% CaO,whats the concentration of ...
- chemistry - If 8 cm3 of 9.9 mol m-3 Fe(NO3)3 are mixed with 10 cm3 of 1.0 mol m-...