Posted by sadia khan on Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 2:42am.
an open box of rectangular base is to be made from 24 cm by 45cm cardboard by cutting out squares sheets of equal size from each corner and bending the sides.find the dimensions of the corner squares to obtain a box having largest volume.
- maths - Reiny, Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 8:53am
let each side of the cut-out square be x cm
where 0 < x < 12
base of box is (24-2x) by (45-2x)
height will be x
volume = x(24-2x)(45-2x)
= x(1080 - 138x + 4x^2) = 4x^3 - 138x^2 + 1080x
d(volume)/dx = 12x^2 - 276x + 1080
= 0 for a max/min of volume
x^2 - 23x + 90 = 0
(x-18)(x-5) = 0
x = 18 or x = 5
but x < 12 , so x = 5
a square of 5 by 5 cm should be cut out.
if x = 4.8
volume = 4.8(24-9.6)(45-9.6) = 2446.848
if x = 5
volume = 5(24-10)(45-10) = 24050
if x = 5.1
volume = 5.1(24-10.2)(45-10.2) = 2449.224
max when x=5
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - An open box is to be made out of a 8-inch by 14-inch piece of ...
- math - An open box is made from a rectangular piece of cardboard, with ...
- PreCal - A square sheet of cardboard 18 inches is made into an open box (there ...
- Calculas - an open box is to be made from a square piece of cardboard whose ...
- math - An open-topped box is made from a rectangular piece of cardboard, with ...
- Math - A box with an open top is to be constructed from a rectangular piece of ...
- calculus - An open box is to be made from a 21 ft by 56 ft rectangular piece of ...
- Calc - You want to make a rectangular box, open at the top, by cutting the same ...
- Calculus - A box with an open top is to be made from a square piece of cardboard...
- calculus - an open rectangular box is to be made from a piece of cardboard 8 ...