Posted by sadia khan on Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 2:42am.
an open box of rectangular base is to be made from 24 cm by 45cm cardboard by cutting out squares sheets of equal size from each corner and bending the sides.find the dimensions of the corner squares to obtain a box having largest volume.
maths - Reiny, Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 8:53am
let each side of the cut-out square be x cm
where 0 < x < 12
base of box is (24-2x) by (45-2x)
height will be x
volume = x(24-2x)(45-2x)
= x(1080 - 138x + 4x^2) = 4x^3 - 138x^2 + 1080x
d(volume)/dx = 12x^2 - 276x + 1080
= 0 for a max/min of volume
x^2 - 23x + 90 = 0
(x-18)(x-5) = 0
x = 18 or x = 5
but x < 12 , so x = 5
a square of 5 by 5 cm should be cut out.
if x = 4.8
volume = 4.8(24-9.6)(45-9.6) = 2446.848
if x = 5
volume = 5(24-10)(45-10) = 24050
if x = 5.1
volume = 5.1(24-10.2)(45-10.2) = 2449.224
max when x=5
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - An open box is made from a rectangular piece of cardboard, with ...
- math - An open-topped box is made from a rectangular piece of cardboard, with ...
- Math - A Candy box is made from a piece of cardboard that meaasures 11 by 7 ...
- PreCal - A square sheet of cardboard 18 inches is made into an open box (there ...
- calculus - An open box is to be made out of a 8-inch by 14-inch piece of ...
- Calc - An open box is to be made out of a 10-inch by 16-inch piece of cardboard ...
- Calculus 1 - A box with an open top is to be constructed from a rectangular ...
- Math - A box with an open top is to be constructed from a rectangular piece of ...
- calculus - An open box is to be made out of a 10-inch by 14-inch piece of ...
- Maths - a rectangular metal sheet of length 30cm and breadth 25cm is to be made ...